1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Uncollectable Rate/%

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious - what would most of you estimate your uncollectable rate to be? I know numbers are a sensitive issue in this forum - not asking for a $ amount, just an estimate of % of money against the gross that remains uncollected after 1 year.
    Ours is about 5% in a bad year - and closer to 2% in better (average) years. Just wondering how close this is to everyone else.
  2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

3. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Less than $100,we always get the money first for any one off jobs, and keep a good track of regulars.Unfortunately theres always a few that stiff you,but bad debts are tax deductable here so not a total loss.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Total uncollected debt in 7 years is $80.00 and I will get that 80 bucks!:angry:
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If I'm reading my Dome book right it says "bad debts from services rendered-previously reported as income" is a legal deduction. Yes I have been stiffed for a little over $100.00 in my 3 plus years of business. I'm sure I'm one of the lucky ones, compared to some.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

110.00 from the locust stiff. shes got enough bad debts to people ,she is the town joke.doubt ill get it ,as i just as soon not have anything to do with her. 30.00 from a lady at church .hmmm
    25.00 from a fella that pulled a pistol when i went to collect.
    these people are stupid.i dont think this guy has been out to the local walmart etc since that day. saw him on the rd one day an he had grown a full beard,an didnt look nothing like his self.
    about 25.00. i wish he was reading this,id tellim forget about it .
    hes paid enough already.whew:rolleyes:
  7. First 2 years about 3%
    Since - under 1%
    How about adding the biggest single loss? Mine was $210.00 to a landlord for aerations.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

$280 from the owner of a real-estate management firm. He used to be the first to pay every month. The last bill of the season, last season, never paid.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

One deadbeat last year for $75. Couple years ago, I had 2 older people that tried to stiff me for about $100 each. Within 6 months, both of them died, made a claim on their estate ( with a late fee added) and got my money!!

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$3000 from a rich widow who spent all of her dead husband's money after he died.