Uncontrolable ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andy Miller, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

I was cutting a yard today with my ZTR. The yard was on a slope with a off angle. My ZTR went out of control. NO STEERING or BRAKING. The angle of slope dragged the mower in the direction which I was trying to steer away from. I picked up speed and crashed thru a chain link fence. I am reconsidering this equipment. All my work is on some kind of slope. This thing works great on level but is not safe on hills. It is a 48" Yazoo/Kees. Is there any suggestions.

2. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Andy, I use a Scag Sthm or 3 wheeler. Might want to check out

Gravely 310. Will do 9 mph. I lost control of a Exmark LC

last year on a demo. I'll stay with the Scag. I can raise the deck

to change weight distribution.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's one thing about ztr's. You get them going forward down a hill, and you are just along for the ride! There have been a few threads on here regarding this and the safety and danders of these. It's sort of ironic, because they'll climb hills unbelievably. and back down them as well, but you get them going forward and down, and forget about it. wb's are one of the first choices for many on hillsides, and like Edward said, 3 wheelers work rather well too. With a 3 wheeler, I don't know about the new ones that only lift the deck while leaving the casters down, but on mine, it lifts the whole deck and front end up. This thing will stop dead while going down a hill, and back right up it if you want it to. Be careful!

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer told me not to mow slopes with the thing. I didn't listen, and found out the hard way that he was right!

5. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

you have to either mow straight up and straight down or really learn how to control the wheelspin going straight across the face at speed.takes lots of practice.if thats all the type of stuff you mow i'd look into other equipment.

6. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I agree with those saying they don't do well going downhill. With practice, you can get better. I found that the wider wheelbase of a 60" ztr does alot better on slopes.

My 44 Exmark requires skill and the hand of GOD to stay up on hills.

7. each brand has there own tolerance because of the hydro set up. Some brands are great on hills and some brands are better off to stay on the trailer. Here in the ozarks where we have some hills I can mow most hills with my ferris or derby. one thing about mowing hills is speed and direction and traction of grass. Thats the one beauty of a dixie with those rear tires great traction.

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Any slope that I'm not sure of I just use my w/b. As far as flat and open, no doubt I use my z. I have tried a few small slopes and that was enough for me. It's not worth getting hurt over. I've seen guys use z's on slopes I would NEVER think of doing with a ztr. That's the nice thing about having both a w/b and a ztr, you can handle just about any situation.

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

oh wonderful...most properties have some degree of slope ...what degree are we talking about here 10 degrees, 15, less?? Maybe I should send my shiny new hp52 back to Mr Dealer...haven't run it on much of a slope yet...would appreciate you Emark addicts putting your 2 cents in here please...

10. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

These machines are not SAFE for hilly terrain. A safety warning should be given to potential users. I am serious, these machines are dangerious