Under Bid AGAIN

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stumper1620, Sep 29, 2005.

1. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid the new Library last week, 15,000 sq.ft turf, all tight area with a retention in the back, Lots of trimming,(power poles, signs, steet signs, 12 inside corners on the building, grass to the foundation, a/c units, power transformers all in the turf areas) I figured about 15 to 20 miniutes trimming, 700' of sidewalk edging, blow 15,000 sq. ft lot and all walks. I bid 40 bucks a cut for full serve, I got under bid, i really am getting sick of this. some little cut rate sombeech is do this all around here.
    opinions please, Am I over priced?

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Are YOU over priced??? only you can answer this as only you know your numbers.
    To plug in those numbers to my rates you are UNDER.
    That job would have been a loser for me and I think for you also so look at this as a happy time. Keep the rates high and keep your standards high and the rest will go away and you will get many call backs.
    There are 2 ways to make no profit. Sit on your but and do nothing all day or work hard and sweat and beat yourself up for the same no profit.

3. stumper1620

I felt the same as you say, It was my loss leader, hoped for the snow & ice control, I went with what I considered way low and am totally baffled that somebody went lower. i figure it must be they bid mow only.
    Or my bid was used as a start point for the other guy. I suspect that is what happened.

4. PMLAWN

I will say this and I believe others will follow. Never price low on a job now in the hope of getting future work at a better price.
    1st it almost never comes and 2nd they now class you as a cheap worker.
    Do not take this the wrong way as all that say this (me included) are saying it from experience

5. stumper1620

They had no bid sheet or specs to work from, I bid the whole season lawn care, ( fert, aeration, cleanups, the works) in the long run had they taken the bid i would have been in the black on my numbers, the snow is still unawarded, I may still get that. I 'm just not sure if I want to accept it without lawn care to go with it, this is right on my route and would work out good for me as a full serve account. there is not very many of us around here that do Ice control and so I figure I will get a call for that, the guy that under bid me I suspect don't plow and I don't think he has the equpment or knowledge for ice.

But, I do get your drift.

6. PMLAWN

Good luck with it and hope it works out. By the way what it this "snow plowing" stuff that you talk of?? :D

7. stumper1620

LOL, fun, fun, fun without sun. I love winter.
    Lost the bid but I bet I hear form them before spring, thing is my bid had a 5 day limit.

8. stumper1620

I think I know the guy that got the bid, If its him, His work sucks, I've been dealing with his low rate bids all year, he wins a lot but, I don't see him making it with 2 helpers, bet he Ain't paying taxes. They should have taken the cheap bid from me, now it won't be cheap when they call back. :D payup

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I got the same thing here, except its a retired guy thats bidding at 1/3-1/2 my rates
    Its a bear to loose the bids to someone like that BUT he works 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week for what I could do in 7-8 hrs.
    Plus he can't do snow so I raise my plow price up because there not full service customers and in the end I make out fine, he's must be happy and the customers loose money because they get a part time guy thats can't do apps and does not offer all the services that my bids included. So later on down the rd. they will be needing what I offer and he does not.
    BTW-- no bid sheet means bid it as cheap as you can and charge extra for all the other services that you do. If you really want the job

10. stumper1620

I hear ya Mac,
    I thought 40 bucks a full service cut was cheap. went high on everything else. this guy is getting on my nerves a little, he has gotten a few of the places I've bid, but then again 3 of them came to me after a few weeks of his service. he is a real hack, trim work looks like he11.
    I can tell every lawn he services.