Under bid again!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dodgemania, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

I'm starting to get a little discouraged this season. I bid on a 4 acre Lawn maintencance job. Residential. A few trees in the the way, so it wasn't wide open field. I bid a $185 on it that includes mowing and trimming. After I submitted the bid I thought man I should of raised that a little. To my suprise I was to high. It seems I've been getting outbid alot at the beginning not just for lawns either.
    It seems everybody in my area are price shopping real hard this year.

2. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

My bad title should be "over bid again".

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

That's the thing with the larger lawns, you tend to get a wide variety of prices for the same job. Better to be sure you'll make money on it than to get desperate.

4. kmclawn

kmclawn LawnSite Member

Just make sure you are bidding on how much you need to make on each job. Everybody has a different amount they need to stay in business. Anyone who lowballs just to get a job will not be in business long.

5. Lance007

Lance007 LawnSite Member

Send them a follow up letter after a month or two asking if they are satisfied with the service they are receiving. Odds are they will be cutting corners ( no pun intended) to make a profit.

6. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

60" zero turn mower ??????????????????????//

damn we do 4 acres for $145.00

takes 1.15 hours..............

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It has a lot to do with location. Also, how many mowers and people do you have doing 4 acres in 1.15 hours?

8. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Are you loosing these bids to other established LCO"S or guys just getting into the biz that should determine if you are bidding to high or low for your area!

9. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Man from the description (could be totally off) I could mow that in about 1 hr with the zero turn, trim and blow in 20 minutes by myself! that would be about $100

10. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

4 or more acres being done for about 30-33 $ acre don't like it but what u going to do