1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Under Driveway

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Randy J, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to install a system shortly that is going to involve tunneling under the driveway. What is the most successful way you have found to get this done? I am planning on using the cap on the end of a PVC pipe, with a small hole drilled in it. But will that go through the rock that's under the driveway?
    Thanks for any help.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in the same boat as you. My irrigation division wasn't big enough to buy a boring machine so I tried various other methods to get under drives. The most successful method was to open up my landscape association membership book and call the largest irrigation contractor in the area and have them do the boring. He is a honerable man and has helped me out on more than one occaision. I can also now call him when I am stuck on a design or other problem and he will help me out.
  3. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

4. houston

houston LawnSite Member

I know that here in around Houston we have some companies that do nothing but boring. Go to your supply house and ask the guys that work there and they should be able to steer you towards one.
  5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like a neat gadget aquamatic. I wonder how well it works, and how long it lasts.
    I'm actually doing this (my first system) for my Mother-in-law, down around Lake of the Ozarks. Not too many irrigation companies down there, let alone companies that bore. There is a Dean equipment rental (Cat equipment), don't know if they'd have a boring machine or not. I was kind of hoping to hear someone had some success with capping the PVC pipe and drilling a small hole in the cap, using it as a jet blaster to power thru.
    I've had several IAA classes, and have been looking forward to getting some experience under my belt. My Mother-in-law wants an irrigation system cheap, so it's a win-win situation. Her place is on a rural golf course, and we'll just be hooking into the courses irrigation system (they ran connections to all the houses that back to the course), so no back flow needed. I've got the system designed out, just need to figure out how to get under the driveway now, and I'm ready to go to work.

6. dbielawski

dbielawski LawnSite Member

BorZit...very interesting. I too would like to hear from anyone who has used this item or know anyone who has.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I actually picked up a used one of those bore it tools yesterday. It was given to me by a guy that retired and I bought all his remaining parts real cheap. Same guy that I boght his accounts last year. He did warn me that if you hit a rock just right, it can almost break your wrist when it binds up. I haven't used it yet.

I've had luck with PVC but haven't tried a cap glued on the end with a hole. I have a nozzle I attach on the end that is pointed and does well when needed. Rocky soil is tough though. And you run the risk of putting too much water under the drive and causing it to crack.
  8. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I dont think I would suggest this for a driveway but I'll tell you what I did anyway. The first system I installed was at my own house so I could do whatever I wanted. I got a long enough rod to go accross the sidewalk and duct taped the hose to it. I then simply put the hose on fine spray and just kept pushing the the hose/rod under the sidewalk until it washed a small circular hole underneith the sidewalk. 1 inch fit fine.
  9. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Randy J.

About time you put some of that training to use. We were in the Foundations of Landscape Irrigation Design class in New Orleans.
    I have something similar to a borzit. I think it is called a Hydro Drill. It does work pretty well, but you have to be careful not to use too much water- your trench will fill up quick. Mine bores a large enough hole for a 1" and 3/4" pipe to fit through. I only use it for short bores though and I have owned it for 2 years. Takes about 3 minutes to go under a sidewalk. I contract the long bores.

If you want to go water pressure only, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a brass sweeper nozzle. Attach this to a section of 3/4" schedule 40 PVC and a shut off valve on the other end. This shut off valve saves you time running to the hose bib. Just keep adding sections of pipe as you go. It will bore a large enough hole for 1" pipe and valve wire. I wouldn't try this method here as we have heavy clay here and it would just take too long. If your soil conditions are right and you don't mind getting wet and muddy this might work. If you have very rocky soil, I would not try it. If you have any other questions send me a private message.

10. Lance Takara

Lance Takara LawnSite Member

We've only used the borzit tool for a very short time. So far longest bore was 8' - no problem. Piece of cake. As Sam said, watch the water flow.

We may be attempting a much longer run - approx 20'. Will let you know the results if we do it.