under mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by minix, Apr 5, 2009.

1. minix

minix LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the best thing to put down under mulch to stop weeds?

Thanks

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

what's the situation....

mulch for plants, mulch for decorative, stone mulch, hardwood mulch, what size stones.

I've found the best thing that works under hardwood mulch is nothing. Weed mat's are a waste of time, effort, and money in mulch beds. Stone beds are a different story...but it depends on the situation. You can use plastic and it works well but you need to be careful cause it won't allow water to penetrate and if its a planting bed its tuff unless you have some type of water system in place.

3. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to be a major believer in fabric under mulch but lately I have begin to notice a good way to stop the weeds is to remove all of the grass or weeds in the area you will be mulching, and then spraying the area with weed killer/preventer. Then lay down 2-3 inches of mulch. I have heard of a brand "snapshot" I may try on my next mulch job. Hope this helps.

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

snapshot works well, it does take multiple apps though and you better be licensed for pesticides.

on to the original ?----- if itis really bad and it is for yourself, to be honest wet newspaper 5 layers thick under the mulch is unbeatable and degradable. commercially i would not use it, a bit tacky. so i guess what the application is depends on the answer

5. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, newspaper works better than I would have thought!
    I find that brown paper, either from a roll or brown paper bags, works well also and is not as visible as either newspaper or landscape fabric.

6. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

newspaper or cardboard.

works great!

7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Newspaper works better than cardboard because as it saturates it bonds to the other layers of newspaper next to it (surface tension, if you care to know why) and makes a more thorough bond than wet cardboard. I use more than 5 layers, though - at least 10 and sometimes more (depending on how much time it's going to take to count and lay out sheets. You should have at least 2" of overlap with the paper and if you are a real nut about it: pre-emerge on the ground before the paper goes down and more pre-emerge on top of the mulch.

8. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I've been using Treflan for years. Prevents weeds but doesn't harm annual flowers that you might plant later. (Again this is assuming you have a pesticide license.)

Look for a private message, minix.

9. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

I use 1"-2" of grass clippings in my garden to control weeds and in my flower beds under the mulch, works great, it's natural, adds nitrogen and its free.:)

10. l3en007

l3en007 LawnSite Member

license and use Snap Shot. It works great and you make $$$$$ on it. After mulch preparation in beds, I ALWAYS apply 14-14-14 ornamental fertilizer and snap shot. Any paper, plastic or fabric is a complete waste of time and will actually become a hassle in the long run.