Under-Powered Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Jun 13, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

Is the 17-HP Kawasaki on the Turf Tracer HP52 underpowered?

Or should I go for the Turf Tracer 52 w/ the 23 Kawasaki for $1000 more?

I don't plan on mulching, but I will have a pro-slide and would like to be able to cut tallish grass without slowing.

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

If you're going to get the big TT, get the 60" deck.

Otherwise, you'll be fine with 17hp.

I remember not too long ago, they made 52" mowers with 11hp (Briggs, no less) and we thought we had it made when they came out the the 12.5hp Kaw in 1986. Now we got guys wondering if 17hp is enough.

3. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Talked to my Toro dealer Monday about a 52" Toro Hydro and the 17hp 52" is the least he will sell. I would think it would be ok but then you proably need to condider you'r weight also. Im looking to buy the Toro verison of the 52" and use it with a velkie and my dealer swears that this will be enough engine.

4. Get the 60" with the 23 Kaw or whatever is the biggest engine they make.

A two wheel non pivoting sulky is a better choice for a 52-60.

5. Scottb hold off buying a new Toro. There is a thread here at lawnsite with some unhappy campers with 2001 models.

6. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Thank's for the warning I hope they get this worked out soon as I really want a Toro but I can wait a while. I really like the Exmark style deck height adjustment. But like I said I can wait. Come to think of it my dealer even said that they were for some reason a little front heavy for some reason.
    Again Thanks