Under priced lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by D&A Lawn Care, May 7, 2014.

1. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

work faster, :cool2:call around for a cheaper price on the mulch

2. D&A Lawn Care

D&A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

There is only one company who sells mulch in my town.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

OK, I laughed when I read that.

Life doesn't get any easier, or less expensive as you get older. If you only lose $60 you aren't going to lose anything but a few measly dollars in the grand scheme of things, but you will gain respect and knowledge.
    Learn from it and move on.

And it's probably going to happen again. ;)

4. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a written referral that you can use later on, on a website, for future customers...it will only cost you $60

5. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

You have to be a man of your word if you are going to make it in this industry. If you say you will do something- do it. Bid the next one higher.

6. ColliCut Land Mgmt

ColliCut Land Mgmt LawnSite Member

If I interpreted this correctly, you have at least three people in on this, including yourself, and you're all sharing the profits equally. If that's the case... You're each poised to make the same profit as planned, you just have to work a little longer than expected... And upsetting the customer with your $60 increase would put only 20 additional bucks in each of your pockets? Just pretend you made the extra money and then spent it on a steak dinner last night.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. There is not a professional on this site that has not done this. Learn from your mistake. I once did a job starting out and lost several hundred. But I stuck to my word. At least your making 6.90. Learn how t estimate. Do not be afraid of quoting a high price or getting told no

8. D&A Lawn Care

D&A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

We ended up sticking to our estimate and we used less mulch then expected. She gave us a $30 tip so in the end it turned out fine thanks for all your advice!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Captain Mike

Captain Mike LawnSite Member

Learn from your underbid and remember this :

The sweet price of a low bid is soon forgotten after the bitterness of poor quality remains.

Glad you manned up and finished the job!!! :clapping:

10. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

holy crud batman....6.90 per hour? You way...and i mean way...underbid that job. When i bid jobs, my price is based on me making $40 per hour. So when i make a mistake it takes me down, but never below $30. Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and raise ur prices.