under the base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cutbetterthanyou, Jan 17, 2008.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure that this has been covered before but i was wondering how can you tell if the dirt is good before you put your base down. Is there a time when you have to overdig more than what is needed and fill with something else or do you just put you base down and start packing? Maybe i am overthinking this bbut if you have 2 foot of topsoil or sand seems to me like the base would move after time even if it is packed

2. David_ohio

David_ohio Banned

Are you installing on 2’ of fill?

A simple modified proctor should tell you, just make sure the instrument has been calibrated/de-gaussed in last 24 months.

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Every area has different types of soil which will require different things.
    Here we deal with Clay soil that has very little sand in it and even the inspectors and engineers use a tool that is a rod with a T handle on it and It is plunged into the soil and the penetration depth is measured.
    When you reach "Hard Pan" as we call it you will know with this simple test.
    But our soil is such that normally we do not need separation cloth under the base even when building roads.
    I would be curious as to what guys do were they have different types of soil to test the ground?

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought clay was where you wanted the Mirafi the most :hammerhead:

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I am no expert on soil terminology but here our soil normally perks very poor and even demoing structures and roads that are old there is almost no migration of the soil into the base material without any form of separation material.
    Of course this is not a blanket statement for the state.
    Some roads here require it.
    The state people have engineers test the soil before state highways are done ,but most county roads never are tested.

What I said in my first post is what is taught here for installation of pavers.

6. cutbetterthanyou

No i am not installing any thing right now. It was just a thought that came to mind the other day i saw a sewer line dig out and it looked like about 2 foot of topsoil. It got me thinking, If i was going to put pavers down right here would the base sink or become unlevel? Or should all of this soil come out and put in 2 foot of cr6 (base)? Or like 1.5 feet of some kind of dirt, like what goes down before building a house for the pad, then the cr6 (base) on top of that. It was just kindof a thought that has been going thought my mind the past few days that all.

7. cutbetterthanyou

thanks guys for answer my question with 57 views of this thread and 3 people answering i guess everyone else ether don't know the answer or is on the other thread bashing m rusk

8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

yes you should remove all organic soil. Sand is fine, clay you will need seperation fabric so tha clay doesn't migrate upwards. Go take an icpi class it will answer many of your questions.