underbids, then asks for advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 10, 2003.

1. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby,

I would have told them that I have studied and learned much about the green industry. If he wants the same results that I am getting its all free information out there and he is more than welcome to get it.

Now if I would have spelled it out for him to profit from right then.......no way!

Dont get me wrong. I think it is wise to help people, but only the ones looking for true help. Not the bozo looking for a fast fix to pad his wallet!

Many just want to know what you are doing, then follow it exactly not really knowing what they are doing. All the while never taking the time to understand what is really going on and why. All they want is a fix, not true help!

2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him you bid the lawn he has right now, but dont tell him what you do.
    Tell him you would be glad to show him exactly what to do but it will cost him. That you have educated yourself and it cost you money and you won't educate him for free.

Or send him to the local collage.

Jim

3. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

1) Ask him why he is standing on your customer's Grass?

2) Ask him what he is offering in exchange for the information?:eek:

:D

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Just shake your head and tell him you are too busy too talk.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I would have been polite about it but I would have also said, it sure looks easy doesn't it. Another question I would have asked him is how long has he been in business treating lawns and if he has the proper paperwork and any licences required there. And if he again asked me how I do it I would say I will tell you if you give me the addresses of all his customers. Sounds like a fair trade to me.
    javascript:smilie(';)')
    wink

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Honestly, I would have just looked at him and said, "you expect me to tell you how to do your business?" Just remember this one thing in life, when you tell everything you know then the other person knows what they know and what you know too. :D :D :D

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say,
    "Sorry mate, but we are in direct competition with each other and I dont feel I should tell you anything that could make MY job harder"

Or just tell him to pi22 off!

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I actually justed started charging consulting fees this past month after a potential customer screwed me out of a lot of money. A guy called me up and asked me how to improve his lawn...I told him exactly what should be done and then the guys says thanks...and that was all. He didn't ask me to do any of the services or anything. So I decided forget this, I am going to charge a consulting fee from now on.

I would have told the other LCO my consulting fee price and left it at that.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

And for the best answer of all.
    "Sorry Mr. Stone you'll have to tuck your tail between your legs and crawl back to Lawn Site to learn how to do it"

Just kidding Larry, I hope your still out there.

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'd tell him that my consulting fee is $75/hr.