Lawn Care Forum banner

Underestimate ?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave_005 
#1 ·
I underestimated a spring clean up today. The original estimate that i gave them will go up. How much do you think i can go up with out causing them heartache. And i know it is an estimate to begin with. But i do not want to lose them, as they are my first commercial clients.

#7 ·
the only problem will be next year when you do it and your price goes up that $100 you underestimated, then they will wonder what the heck is going on that you raised your prices that drastically for the same service you performed last year.
You have to eat it on the service you already performed. As for having to go up next year, it will look bad, but you can't hose yourself in multiple years on this, so I usually just tell the customer that I underbid it the year before. They will likely know that your price next year is more in line with what other folks would charge.

#9 ·
If it was written as an estimate and not a firm price proposal you have the right to raise it up. If it was only an "Estimate". If you said nothing about it being an estimate then you have to eat it, I would let the customer know you underestimated the job up front, and see their reaction. You don't have to ask them for more money, but just let them know you made a mistake int heir favor. Then continue to service their property like you know how. Don't skimp to make up that lost cash, but if you can add more services make sure you charge accordingly. If they ever want another quote from you for the same spring cleanup they will wonder why the price went up so much and you can just remind them how you underestmated it in the past. Or just propose time and materials to them for the services until you get accurate times.

#11 ·
you gave your price now you have to live with it, everyone underestimates once in a while. we live and learn, Especially now that you have already done the work if you want to keep the account i would eat it this time, and price higher next tiime

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.