Underground 4" drain y connections, how to seal these?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Popper357, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

I did some 4" drains for my gutter downspouts along the side of the house, connected both drains via y connector and ran them out away from the house. I've noticed that the pipes aren't holding water and suspect that the y connection isn't water tight. Figured this would occur. Great! Now I need to dig this stuff up! Digging this stuff up is going to be harder than installing it! Anyone want to help dig? LOL Used pvc cement on the connection and it didn't seem good enough.

So how do guys connect these unions? Everyones input is welcome, like to hear different opinions or methods. I asked Home Depot and those guys were clueless, yikes. You'd think they know more since they sell the stuff. A friend said to use weatherproof cauking, probally better than PVC cement. :cry:

2. Krois Landscaping

Krois Landscaping LawnSite Member

What kind of pipe did you use the cheap flexible black stuff or the green/white pvc pipe?

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We bury a lot of the green sewer pipe with connections and have never had a problem with the PVC cement. That stuff sets up and that's it. Something else is wrong.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have seen guys pour a bag of Qwikcrete over the connections in the black corregated pipe. Then water it down. I don't think this is the right way.......but I have seen it.

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'm kinda confused.The pipes aren't supposed to hold water.They're supposed to move the water.
    Anyway,medium/fast set cement should be fine for the joints.Put it on thick.Heck,I've even secured a a 4" grate to the end of black corrugated with it.It's getting pounded by water discharging,yet it's still there.

6. Popper357

I used the 4" black corrugated stuff, should have made that clear. Whoops.

Concrete is funny, maybe those y connections always leak no matter what? Concret would help hold it in place if the gound underneat moves from water. I'm sure all that water is leaking out right on the corner of my home foundation, not good. There's got to be some method to sealing those y connections. I used pvc cement and pressed the connection together all the way. Are guys using pvc for this type of drain? I see the corrugated drains under downspouts occationally. Good think I didn't do this on any customers property yet, except my neighbors. I searched the forums and couldn't find much, so far.

7. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you are trying to make sure the connections do not come apart, duck tape is the answer. Get them nice and tight and wrap away. As long as the surface you are applying it is clean and they will be buried, that is the best. Be sure to backfill/compact tightly. Since there will be no UV breakdown, it will last a LONG time

8. Popper357

The way the drain is setup is to slide pipe up onto the downspout on both corners of the house. The front of the house downspout pipe runs along the house to the back of the house where the other drain is. I connected both drains with a y connector and ran the pipe twenty feet back, to a downslope away from the house. The pipes are slid about 20 inches up on the downspout, pipe bottom is 12 inches deep in the ground them turns back to daylight and has a screen at the end. Water pressure pushes the water up the turn in the drain. Water will sit in the pipe below surface level. Water is leaking out of my y connection and I need to figure out how to seal that connection. I bet this setup runs smooth during rain, but I'd rather not have any leaking. If I can't stop the leaking, it's ok. It's not a fast leak I'm sure. Any takers

9. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

As I said before, duck tape and good compaction alont the pipe should solve that problem. Any pictures??

10. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

duct tape............