Underground Drainage System

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by pcs, Mar 24, 2008.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I have never tied down spouts into an underground drainage system before.

I'm trying to understand where the water ends up going.

Does anyone have any pictures of one?

How deep do you go?

What materials do you use?

2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i rarely tie into a existing drain system in fear of the down spouts dumping debris in it and developing a clog.. we do the all the time,just did one last week and cost about 120 in extra pipe to run two separate systems. cheap ins and easy sell to the customer. no extra digging i just lay the second pipe on top of the first and i put a little dirt on top of the first pipe first. you can have them drain out just about any where you don't mind their being water.. best place is a catch basin in the road.. worst neighbors yard..lol..j/k.. the depth is really not important because it solid pipe just make sure you can get the pipes to have a pitch and get enough soil over them to grow grass.. all you really need for materials are your pvc pipe the down spout connectors and elbows tees, pvc cement ect..

3. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your question? Are you tieing into existing seep tanks? If not you can use NDS pop up emmiters... pretty simple

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the NDS contractors site for formulas, installation methods and parts needed.
    http://www.ndscontractor.com/

Hopefully you are not trying to tie the downspouts into a sewer system, either septic or public sewer. In most states that is illegal and it is usually unnecessary. You can run your downspouts into a dry well if you can find a permeable soil layer or as Jeff suggested, outlet to a pop up emitter or better yet to open air.

Kirk

5. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Kirk,

Thanks for that website.

6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I was part of a team that taught water management and drainage today at Rutgers university. We had a rep firm from NDS and an actual NDS rep teach part of the program today. They have a tremendous amount of solutions for most drainage or water management issues. They should be able to send you a packet of information including a slide rule type drainage calculator for sizing pipe, catch basins and their version of a french drain.

When tying downspouts into a system, it is best to use a catch basin at the downspout outlet. It allows anything debris in the gutters or downspouts to be ejected from the system,before it gets caught in the elbow that often creates backups or ice damns. If you can outlet to daylight, the pop-up emitter is a great way to go or their is a company called Mitered Drain that makes a real nice inlet/outlet. It's a bit pricey, but very effective.
    http://mitereddrain.com/

Kirk