1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

underground fence

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddman35, Sep 16, 2000.

1. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

i was thinking about aereating my lawn today, and when i woke up this morning i remembered that we have an underground fence, its about 2 inches down and was wondering if i should just go over it, or go around it, but if i do go around it will it leave a less green stipe next year? thanks
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

An underground fence should be deeper than that. I do a lot of lawns that have them and I set the aerator for 2" and haven't hit one yet. The only place they should be less than 3 or 4" is where they cross the driveways, they have to bring them up and they put the wire in a slit in the black top or concrete. I stay about 16" away from that area. Call the company that installed it and ask how deep they put the fence, or did you put it in?
  3. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

i put it in with a walk behind edger, im not sure how deep it was set though, it was a few years ago.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Play it safe, just stay away from the area where the wire is buried.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

ok i have heard it before but ,,,,
    teach me ...under fenceing?
  6. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Think "My pet"

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

if ya'll have to do that to keep your pets in,you have some smart pets..
  8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

They're not as smart after they go near this underground fence!! They're talking about a wire buried around the perimeter of the yard that sends a current to the little doggies neck when he tries to go outside of it. Its so you don't need to put up a fence around it. Its a good way of training them to stay in the yard If you don't have time I guess. The learn eventually not to go near the border.

9. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from the fence, last year I had to replace electrical wire across the front of a yard to the ends of both drivways that wasn't more than 3" down.Was not a happy day.
  10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

You use an electric current to train your dogs?
    You electrecute your dog so you don't have to have an enclosed area for it?
    Isn't that illegal? Very ugly.