Underground irrigation installation

Discussion in 'Vermeer' started by Land Girl, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Land Girl

Land Girl LawnSite Member

I have been installing some underground irrigation in the residential market and have used the vibratory plow and small trencher. I have found that the LM42 is a workhorse but the size is just a bit too large. I am looking at some innovative ways to install the pipe and am interested in knowing if you have any knowledge of any of your customers utilizing the small skid steer or excavator for this type of work? I am wondering if it would be more effective for me? In my area I deal with a lot of rock and very difficult areas to get into to do my work. Thanks

2. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Land Girl,

Contractors are using the mini skid steers for residential or small commercial irrigation installations as an alternative to a single use plow due to it's increased versatility. Generally the installations are under 12" depth. If you don't need the versatility I would stay with the LM-25 or LM-42 for your conditions. I would shy away from an excavator especially for residential installations time=money.

3. Solid Ground

Solid Ground LawnSite Member

how do you find the plow works in rocky areas? I am not too familiar with it because no one uses it around here. This is a rocky area and I was unsure how a plow and pulling pipe works.

4. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Solid ground,
    It is hard to determine whether or not plowing will be economical without knowing your conditions for sure. I would recommend using a trencher or backhoe if you are plowing through rocks that are greater than 4" a majority of the time. If the ground consists of smaller rock and is not consistently bad it may be an option. I would contact the local Vermeer dealer in your area as they can give you the various options for the soil your in. Plowing is by far the most efficient way to put pipe in the ground if the ground conditions are acceptable.

Jon