underground spring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

A townhouse community I maintain has a underground spring that leeches through one of the beds at the entrance of the development. The guy who installed the landscape said he has dug it up several times and put in sand, gravel, etc. but to no avail. It wouldn't be so bad, but it comes out over the curb and puddles right there in the road, which happens to be a low spot. Any suggestions for getting the water drained away from the road?

2. A suprising number of springs turn out to be broken/leaking water pipes! Sample the water and have it tested for whatever the utility might be adding such as chlorine, flouride, etc. If you were going to be digging you'd want to have dig safe out anyway to mark the pipes.

Years ago here in town there was a famous "spring". Locals would go down every week to fill their jugs and swear by it. Lots of laughs :D when the town repaired the broken pipe!

3. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know for sure if it's a spring or not. I just got the job this month. The building contractor for the development told me that the landscape guy said if was something like the backflow from the irrigation system. I don't know much about irrigation to know if that's possible. The landscape guy later told me it was a underground spring and that even with the water turned off to the irrigation, it still flowed.