1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Underground Wire cut

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ffeo85, Jul 18, 2010.

1. ffeo85

ffeo85 LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a Bed Edger. On my second trip out, after communicating with the homeowner where underground wires were located. I cut a underground wire located more shallow than homeowner thought and in a different location. What is the best/economic device to locate wire to hopefully avoid future incidents?
  2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of wire?............I am sure it wasn't large volatage or wattage or you probably wouldn't be talking to us.
    There are locator's available but can be expensive.
    The best defense is to call the 811 number before you dig at all. The homeowner doesn't know hill of beans about depth of their wires,etc.
  3. ffeo85

ffeo85 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your response
  4. underPSI

underPSI LawnSite Member

Exactly. It does not cost a dime to have every wire on the property located. It does cost a dime or two or 500 to fix a cut line such as the case you are in. You are ultimately responsible since you cut the line. Never go by what the homeowner says. Always have the lines marked.
  5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

If you have cut irrigation wire..........low voltage wires,etc. Then this is nothing but a few caps/w-silicone.........and the time digging to find the breaks.
    No harm in asking as the real only lines that will get attention are the electrical, fiber, phone, gas and water. Then again, the depth isn't always accurate, so as long as the spots are located and a major utility is cut you can have it repaired. If I am correct, the locating is done within 48 hours of your call. The small wiring issues are of low cost to you. Be careful--10 years ago; a lone contractor cut a node of buried fiber that fed a couple of city blocks................this cost him over 100,000.00 for down time, repairs, fines, and heartache.
  6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Call before you dig.
  7. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

In Florida its NoCuts.. for free.

I've cut plenty of cable TV wire the Co. pulled through the hedges or didn't bother to bury & secure properly. Not my problem; if the cable, wire or whatever is properly buried, it's be tough to cut with an edger
  8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

call before you "dig" is a must but for bed edging? nope that is not digging. low voltage is ignored anyway the only lines that will be located during a dig safe call is utility installed gas lines, utility installed telephone lines, utility installed electric 120 volt and over and utility installed water lines utility installed cable lines. nothing else. so your on your own for landscape lighting wire, irrigation wire and piping and invisible fence wire and well wiring and plumbing.
  9. ffeo85

ffeo85 LawnSite Member

Thanks a heap!
  10. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

I cut 2 phone lines, and a cable line this week. None of which is my problem, they were all within 3" of the surface. Most of them were old lines apparently, because everything works fine at both places. Oh well.
    I used to fix the cable lines after I cut them, now I just call em and tell them the address to go fix it