1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

underlayment fabric?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mgosser, Sep 15, 2006.

1. mgosser

mgosser LawnSite Member

I need some info on some good fabric underlayment. Most is like a thin plastic and won't last a year. I have been using a Sam's Club fabric and I like it, but it is seasonal to buy and they are out. I am almost out and I need some help.
  2. JTLawnandLandscape

JTLawnandLandscape LawnSite Member

Lowes and HD sell a nice fabric... It's not cheap, it's made of quality woven fabric that keeps the weeds down and allows water and nutrients to penetrate to the soil... I'm 100% against the use of plastic UNLESS you are using it underneath a loose pea gravel patio or something.

Hope that helps.
  3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

What happened to the other post?
    Anyway, I agree with that one. Only use for fabric is under rock. But then maybe I'm spitting into the wind and you are using it for rock.:waving:
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Fabric does not belong under mulch.
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. Did a walkway used the heavy fabric.
  6. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Why not? Just wondering.
  7. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

For over 45 years we have blck 4 mil plastic under rock, no problems, and weed mat for behind retaining walls, and french drains, that is it.
  8. mgosser

mgosser LawnSite Member

Why doesn't fabric belong under mulch? Do customers don't like calling you back in a month wondering who is going to pull all the weeds and grass. Most mulch is bad enough with weed seeds, but with no underlayment it's really bad.
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Eventually mulch will decompose and weeds will germinate on it.
  10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch is organic and over time it will beak down and become beautiful soil. The first problem is that the weeds will just grow on top of the fabric - makes it a litte easier to pull, but you still have weeds. Second and more important, is that once the mulch breaks down and is ready to be tilled in, you have this stupid fabric in the way. It also ends up showing through the mulch if it gets disturbed or as it breaks down. Bottom line is if you use fabric under mulch and have to maintain the yard in a year, you will understand why most people don't like it. When it comes to rock - it's a must!