Underlayment

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by baja4wd, Sep 15, 2005.

1. baja4wd

baja4wd LawnSite Member
    from South

Just installed my pond, may be a little late to ask, but has anyone ever used thick plastic sheeting for the underlayment. My soil is all clay & I put 8 layers of plastic down, then my liner. Will this be an adequate setup for the future. The hole was smooth, clean etc. & after 2 days, when I got in it to hook up a spitter, the bottom is not hard at all it kinda resembles a sandy bottom under your feet. Looks nice, just wondering if it will all hold up? Baja

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

did you encounter lots of rocks or roots when digging? underlayment just provides padding from sharp edges of rocks or roots.

3. baja4wd

baja4wd LawnSite Member
    from South

None at all, just clay. Our subdivision was developed about 1 year ago, that may have had something to do with it. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the large pile of soil (clay more or less).

4. LiL Hustler

LiL Hustler LawnSite Member

You should be good with no underlayment. I didnt use any either since the pond was dug in complete topsoil.

Sheri

P.S. got any pictures of your pond

5. baja4wd

baja4wd LawnSite Member
    from South

Got pictures, just don't know how to post them. Do I need to upload them remotely and provide a link or am I missing something in teh way in attaching them. Thanks.

6. LiL Hustler

You can add link or post them right on here. If you most more than one picture per post they will show up as links that people have to click on to see picture(i hate that) Thats why I post one per post in my thread. There is a max size that you can upload so I have to always resize my pics to 595 pix by 398pix before I post them.
    After you type in what you want to say in your post scroll down until you see it say manage attachments, click on it and upload your pic.
    If you need your pictures resized and you don't know how to do it you can email them to me and I can resize them for you. justusde@comcast.net

Sheri

7. baja4wd

baja4wd LawnSite Member
    from South

This was the night I filled it up, still got alot of work to do with the rocks, wiring etc. Plus all the dirt to move. However it is fun rewarding work. My kids love it, they are wanting fish.

Picture 088.jpg

8. baja4wd

baja4wd LawnSite Member
    from South

another picture, ovelook the plastice & excess liner, they will be cutaway this weekend and landsacping will begin.

Picture 087.jpg

9. LiL Hustler

Looks real good.
    Yea, thats why I have fish before I'm even done. I have promised the little one for a while he would have a nemo in the pond(all fish are nemo to him). He loves them.

Sheri

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Nice work!!!! Can't wait to see some pics when it's done :)