Understanding element ranges

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rwise10230, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

What publications and or websites provide a thorough description of the ideal soil for the various grasses. You know, we get soil tests performed and in a way, the numbers are somewhat meaningless unless you have a GOOD understanding of what ranges of the micronutrients, for example, should be in and especially why.

I've been hard pressed to find this information, particularly as it applies to fine fescue.

2. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

4 days later and no replies......I thought this would be over the typical persons head.......lol

3. to my knowledge, for all grass you want the base saturations to be @ 68% ca, 12%mg, 10% h, 5% k, 2% na, and micro 3-5%. Thats close, and off the top of my head!

Fine fescue will do better in an acid soil that most cool season turfs!

What is a good soils and fert book ric?

4. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

I always enjoy timturf's replies to soil questions. I have reached the assumption that those of you on the east (acidic) coast rely heavily on base saturation reports to diagnose soil fertility needs in a microenvironment. Saturation data is not easily digested by the layperson as it is more of a picture of the inherent chemistry than a simple nutrient recommendation.

For those of us in alkiline areas, who typically have a a base saturated soil,we rely on the more traditional soil tests based on extractable nutrients. Base saturation tests offer no readings for N,P,S and are less repeatable in higher pH conditions. Unfortunately, our high ph soils do not have the practical soil amendment prescriptive measures that you in the east do for pH problems.---but at least its simpler.

But to address the question--Check out clemson.edu for some good base saturation info or your local land grant university recommendations for simple nutrient requirements.

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Rwise10230,

Go to www.Loganlabsllc.com and click on Newsletter. The element ranges you are looking for are here. And by the way....this lab is one of the best!

Pete D.