UNDERSTANDING % OF SCU OF AN FERTILIZER ANALYSIS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Oct 21, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i looked at a bag of 32-5-7 25% scu (#007532)
    on the label it read "7.20% slowly available nitrogen from lesco poly plus sulfer coated urea" were do they get 25% scu at?
    anthony

2. Prime Seasons

Prime Seasons LawnSite Member

Anthony:

I believe it is something like this:

Lesco 32-5-7 has N breakdown of 30.1% urea, 1.1% Ammoniacal = 32% total. The scu is their trade mark poly coated scu (sulfur coated urea. Basically, this means an extended release of N to the lawn, ie a more steady & longer growth response.

$.02 worth

gus

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

gus: i understand what you are saying but,off the label were do they get 25% scu?

4. The product contains 30% urea.

7.2% of that urea is coated.

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with Stone: 25% of N is SCU. Not only do you have to read the label, you have to analyze it, too. ;)

6. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Poly coated SCU isn't SCU. It is called POLYMER COATED SULFER COATED UREA, sulfer coated urea and polymer coated sulfer coated urea are two entirely different things. Poly coated SCU is SCU with a Polymer sprayed over Sulfer coated urea, hence two different release vehicles.

7. Prime Seasons

Prime Seasons LawnSite Member

powerreel:

Thanks for the clarification. I wrote the post fast-- my words did not convey what I was trying to communicate.

gus

8. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

regardless of the vehicle (pscu, scu, mbdu, ibdu) the label always says how much of the N is slowly available, then states the #'s of N slowly available too.

the analysis works like this:

35-5-7 (25% scu)
    lets say you have 100#s of product.
    35#'s is nitrogen
    5#'s is phosphorus
    7#'s is potassium
    right.

of the 35#'s of nitrogen 25% of the 35#'s is scu meaning that
    7.20#'s is scu. when you do the math it comes out to 8.75#s but with the percentage of N from the scu is also a variable. It is a little deceiveing for the companies to do this but they all do it this way.

9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

35+5+7=47 where's the rest?

10. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

hen bits....cat litter.....filler. that is where the rest is. also there might be some traces in there, iron, sulfur. urea in straight form is only 46-0-0.