1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

understanding soil test results

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Dave does lawns, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I did a soil sample and it says that i need 2.2lbs of Nitrogen and 0.4lbs of Phosphorus and 0.4lbs Sulfer/1000 SQ.FT. Anybody care to explain how I figure of which fertilizer to buy?

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

# 1 you should only feed a maximum of 1 pound of N per feeding and it is often desirable to feed less like 1/2 pound. It is also better to by a slow release nitrogen.

The P is a really low amount and often not included in many fertilizer blends

What did it say about K?

I would by a straight nitrogen with sulfur ( often used as a slow release coating)

3. Dave does lawns

So to buy a fertilzer, what number should I get? ??/0/0

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

does not really matter, just go with a slow release with some sulfur and put down .5 N per app every 6 weeks and stop 6 weeks before the first frost.

5. Dave does lawns

ok at home depot the is a fertilizer 32/0/4 Its a 12 lb bag. 32% of 12 lbs is 3.84 lbs of N? am I on the right track?

6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

100 divided by the N number on the bag will give you the pounds of fertilizer per 1000 to apply to get 1 lb of N
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

8. Dave does lawns

9. Teach123

Teach123 LawnSite Member

In the future...just go to JDL/LESCO and get their 25-0-6 fert. I use it because it is very easy to get 1 lb. of N at one feeding. Since the first number (25) is the percent of nitrogen, putting down one pound of the fert will give you .25 pounds of N per 1000. So....multiply that by 4 and you get 1 lb. of N per 1000.

This fert is also labeled to show 50% of the N is available as slow-release which is what you want.

As a homeowner and not a pro, I used to go to Lowes, HD, etc.. and buy Scotts. Won;t make that mistake ever again. That stuff is crap and all the N is used by the turf in 5-6 weeks. Pound per pound, LESCO is a lot cheaper too!

Hope that helps.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

And if you are in cool season grass country, you do not want to stop fert apps 6 weeks b4 frost... :)