understanding soil test results

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Dave does lawns, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I did a soil sample and it says that i need 2.2lbs of Nitrogen and 0.4lbs of Phosphorus and 0.4lbs Sulfer/1000 SQ.FT. Anybody care to explain how I figure of which fertilizer to buy?

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

# 1 you should only feed a maximum of 1 pound of N per feeding and it is often desirable to feed less like 1/2 pound. It is also better to by a slow release nitrogen.

The P is a really low amount and often not included in many fertilizer blends

What did it say about K?

I would by a straight nitrogen with sulfur ( often used as a slow release coating)

3. Dave does lawns

So to buy a fertilzer, what number should I get? ??/0/0

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

does not really matter, just go with a slow release with some sulfur and put down .5 N per app every 6 weeks and stop 6 weeks before the first frost.

5. Dave does lawns

ok at home depot the is a fertilizer 32/0/4 Its a 12 lb bag. 32% of 12 lbs is 3.84 lbs of N? am I on the right track?

6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

100 divided by the N number on the bag will give you the pounds of fertilizer per 1000 to apply to get 1 lb of N
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

8. Dave does lawns

9. Teach123

Teach123 LawnSite Member

In the future...just go to JDL/LESCO and get their 25-0-6 fert. I use it because it is very easy to get 1 lb. of N at one feeding. Since the first number (25) is the percent of nitrogen, putting down one pound of the fert will give you .25 pounds of N per 1000. So....multiply that by 4 and you get 1 lb. of N per 1000.

This fert is also labeled to show 50% of the N is available as slow-release which is what you want.

As a homeowner and not a pro, I used to go to Lowes, HD, etc.. and buy Scotts. Won;t make that mistake ever again. That stuff is crap and all the N is used by the turf in 5-6 weeks. Pound per pound, LESCO is a lot cheaper too!

Hope that helps.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

And if you are in cool season grass country, you do not want to stop fert apps 6 weeks b4 frost... :)