Understanding the value of your time.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, May 11, 2002.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Today when I arrived at one of my customers lawns another lawn guy was at the neighors home...already working in the lawn. He does 2 lawns on the street that are rentals.

During the process of doing my lawn I looked up and noticed he was fertilizing the lawn...by and!! I had to do a double take, he fertilized the entire lawn by scooping the fertilizer in a bucket, carrying the bucket around, scooping the fertilizer in his hand and shaking it onto the ground.

When I pulled off he was walking to the other lawn carrying the bag & bucket. I have a hard time understanding why someone would spend this much time when they could buy a spreader for $30 at Home Cheapo.

Strange...

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i saw a guy do that one time also. hammered the lawn too(destroyed it)

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Now there's a real professonial at work. I wonder how he calibrates his hand for differents fertilizers. LOL

4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

TJLC writes:

"I wonder how he calibrates his hand for differents fertilizers?"

Thats simple. He controls how far he spreads his fingers.

jim

5. RLS

RLS LawnSite Member

I watched my Dad fertilize like that all of my life. We had a fine yard. LOL I ain't about to do it like that now!!
    :D

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i just finished plugging a lawn lady hand spread weed n feed on said she couldnt understand why she had so many dead streaks she been doing this for years lol i told her the year before it wasnt a smart thing to do she used to bags of 5k fert on a 4k lawn

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like they'll be calling you next time for work. :D :p