underwater connections

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I need to install 4 lights in the base level of a large fountain. There is already 12ga wire prewired in with the pump wires. I plan to install 4-10w mr 16 lights as its very shallow and from what i can see the par lights just wont fit.

How do you guys go about making an underwater connection vs your regular buried connections. Right now I solder and grease tube or use dry-cons for my connections with zero problems.

2. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I've never tried them, but you can find underwater splicing kits ("proSPLICE")that are sold to pond builders at http://www.etcon.com/. They look pretty solid.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd imagine that a regular 3M DBY connector would work just fine for low voltage wiring.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

an unnamed installer in florida told me that I could just solder and wirenut then grease tube for a tripple protection but i dont know about that. I will check em out thanks for the suggestions... We always been lucky enough to run exterior with the leads to make the connection or hide the wire on plants growing into the edge of the fountain.

5. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

6. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

How would you do it? Would you bore holes in the bowls of the fountain and then mortar back into them or caulk or something?

7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe he said it is pre wired...

8. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Billy, I use the resin packs for underwater connections and have never had a problem.

9. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but I have been working on a project with a 4-tier fountain and was wondering what other guys do? I was just planning on gluing the wire (that I will pre-paint to match) to the back of the bowls (running up).

I cans reeds, but dose dare spelins er tuf.

PICT0020.JPG

10. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

cross light it from the house side of the fountain with ground mount bullets. The boxwood hedge will conceal the fixtures from the street. The fountain will be front lit when viewing from the house and back lit when viewing from the street. if you have an overhead structure or tree to mount to without creating glare down light it. Otherwise if you want to light from within take the fountain apart and run the lead wires without splices connected to the underwater fixtures through the center of the fountain. Water is very difficult if not impossible to keep from intruding into your splice/s.