Underwater fixtures

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightLightingFX, Aug 22, 2008.

1. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I have a commercal fountain I might do. This is a two bowl fountain top bowl 6' diameter, bottom bowl 9' diameter all in a black bottomed pool 24' in diameter 1.5'' deep. I thought the Kichler 15191 was a proven underwater fixture (kind of big and ugly), but if it is concealed who cares as long as the fixture works. Have any of you had problems with this fixture. I have seen and felt it but never used it. What do you guys think?
    ~Ned

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Use a real fixture...Unique Nautilus! :cool2:

3. NightLightingFX

Couple problems with the nautilus, 1) it is stainless steel it won't blend in to the back background of the pool floor, 2) Very expensive. I have a tight budget for this project. 3) I kind of like the twist lock action of Kichlers 15191 vs. the the fastening bolts of the nautilus. I would like to know if anyone has had problems with the kichler 15191.
    ~Ned

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I've had problems with the 190 which is the same thing without the base. However, my problems were not in a submerged application. I used the fixtures a long time ago in open grass areas to light trees when no beds existed. I found a lot of leaking issues and I'm still pulling them out today. I will say this, I've talked to others who have used it underwater with great success.

5. ccfree

ccfree LawnSite Member

Hey Ned, check these underwater fixtures out from FX Luminare. This is a new fixture and has been working great. Check it out on their website. Hope this helps. You can get it in an MR-16 or MR-11

lb-20.jpg

6. NightLightingFX

Dang!
    The response I am getting isn't too reasuring. I talked to James earlier, he said he has had problems with them in the past. To me they look VERY solid, and Jerry says they haven't had problems with them. I really can't afford to use anything else, but I also can't afford to have a bunch of problems either. Doing this project might get me a lot of attention. I just want to make sure it doesn't turn into that problem project.
    ~Ned

7. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Well bud, you can't have it both ways. Either it's going to be really good and expensive, or not so good and inexpensive. Choose your poison.

8. NightLightingFX

Another advantage the kichler 15191 has regarding this application vs. the nautilus and the FX fixture is that it has a Big Beefy and heavy mount that won't move around at all. Plus the fixture is bigger. In this case that is good, my light source will be close to the surface of the water shinning up into the cascading sheet of water coming down. Maybe it will be alright if I use this fixture? I am kind of thinking that this fixture might be the right choice for function. I just hope it performs as a quality underwater fixture should.

9. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I have not used the kichler water fixture, but I have used the nautilus and most other underwater lights. The Nautilus is by far the best I have used. It is nice and heavy and the adjustments are smooth. That puppy won't move once you put it where you want it. There are no short cuts when it comes to underwater lights, and the better ones are expensive. One trip back with a leaking fixture and you have paid for the better fixture anyway.

10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Vista has a couple decent underwater lights that are modestly priced. I have used both the puck style and the MR 16 fixture. The puck style can be a problem if it is not fully submerged underwater but the MR fixture has been trouble free.