Unemployment dispute

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HazellLawnCare, Jan 5, 2008.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I open the mail today and get a letter from the division of labor saying one of my former employees has filed for unemployment. Here is the kicker, the former employee quit working for me in April of this year and has since held two other jobs. My question is why should I be responsible for his unemployment? My understanding is the unemployment deal was like an insurance policy that will go up once it is used. Why should I be paying for him if he quit to go to a better position elsewhere and has since held a job since then?

2. if its like hear you have 10 days to protest it. I just write a reply on the bottom of the letter I get from them and fax it back to them with the reasons.

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

If he quit, and you potentially still have work he can do, I'd just reply to them with those facts. I have a friend that cant collect Unenjoyment this winter b/c his former employer (similar situation to yours, he quit then went to another job) claims they have a part time job he can do, so they refuse him his unenjoyment.
    Hope it helps,
    Matt.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

you can dispute the claim. Here it is all done over the phone w/ a mediator.

5. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Same happened to me - He had quit and taken another job.. they maile me a letter- I disputed it and they wrote me a letter stating that the matter had been dropped.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

depending on how long the other job, of jobs lasted You can B responsable for some of his Unemployment...

However, Because he Quit, he's no longer elegiable to collect from you,,,

also, you can tell them that you will hire him back and that will stop it...

unemployment is for when a person CANT get a job, If there is a job avaiable he cant collect

Good luck

7. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

You may still be the chargeable employer depending on how MO does their high quarters to determine benefit amounts. Maybe one or both of the subsequent employers weren't even paying in.... who knows.

Is there a protest section somewhere on your notification? Protest the charge and at least get a valid reason why he is drawing off of your account.

8. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

I fill out disputes all the time. So far, I've only owed one guy unemployment, I didn't dispute that claim.

I have had ex-employees that have caused us so much trouble and were fired for extreamly good reasons who've tried to get it. Also, people who just quit showing up for no apparent reason try to get it. It amazes me sometimes.

If you don't have a claim form there should be a number to call to get one sent, faxed, or emailed.

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

They go back I think 18 months in NC. May only be 12. Not too sure. I had one quit in april 2006 after 4 days and I got a notice in August of this year that he had filed for unemployment. his entire pay from me wasl 280 bucks and I needed to fill out a paper on why he left, etc.

NC allows you to fax it in. Keep your fax confirmation sheet and call to make sure they got it.

10. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

it all depends on state law. In nj it goes back so many quarters so multiple employers could be responsible for a claim. But in nj you have to be employed for a co for so many months before a person can try to claim and if he quits, odds are he will be denied.