Unethical Customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Mar 10, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Last fall, the president of one of the developments, that I do work for, ask me to give them a quote for mulching all their beds. While driving by, 2 weeks later, I saw someone else mulching their beds. I stoped by to see what was going on. The President ,his wife (who is the Treasurer) and 2 others(family members) were putting the mulch down. I commended him on his volunteerism. Then, a few days later, I talked to the Secretary. She told me that the President and the 3 others, went ahead and payed themselves without running it through the board first. Right after that , the checks that they gave me had no "heading"- name or address on them. Something sounds fishy, but as long as I'm getting payed I guess I can't complain.
  2. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I guess it is OK as long as you are getting paid.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say there will be a change in office in a short time, like when the others on the development find out about this. The guy is without a doubt, an unethical individual, and he's teaching his family the same methods. Nice guy. He screws you out of the mulch work, and most likely you will be out the door when this all comes to a head and the others find out you may have known by the fact you receive checks that really aren't from the development. I'm sure the guy submits a bill a little higher than you are charging and makes a little for doing nothing. Great setup. What a piece of work.:rolleyes:
  4. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Sounds like the guys who ran Enron here in Houston. It will catch up with them sooner or later. Milk them for all you can until then.:cool:
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Use what you know to cover your own butt. Start looking for another property to replace this one. You don't want to wait until its gone and then be sitting high and dry.

Of course, he could have been trying to save the assn. money also. She didn't tell you how much he paid himself. He could have done it for 1/2 the price you bid for it.
  6. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I'm thinking along the same lines as Randy. He's submiting a bit a little higher than your for the things he can't do, and a bit equal to for the things he can do. He's making money either way. Keep your receipts and records for future problems. You need to CYA (cover your a--)!