Unethical--or Intelligent?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutnedge, Oct 20, 2004.

1. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

I personally know another LCO in a larger surrounding community that has generated customers by using the Obituaries from the local newspaper. His method? He'll make a list of deceased males and see if he is survived by a wife. Next, he will look in the phone book and get the address to where this man lived. He'll then get a flier to that address ASAP knowing that the widower will probably need a LCO in the near future--if one is not already being used. Fortunately, I have been able to avoid this tactic but his responses have been favorable.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Actually its a pretty good idea. If the man dies and the widow needs somebody she will be looking soon enough. Why not be the first person in the door to get the biz? I don't think I would do it, but it seems like an interesting plan.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

If the widow is going to need someone anyway, it might as well be him. With that being said, I wouldn't do it.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That business tactic has been used for a long time. I don't think it's unethical, just very opportunistic. The big advertising companies refer to those tactics as "targeting a prospective buyer" of goods or services.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Not unethical, might not work in all cases as some people will have unpublished numbers and or addresses.

6. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Who wants a bunch of old lady customers? Most of ours are always home watching the crews out the window, then calling to tell us that our crews mow the lawn too fast! I always have to remind those people that our crews cannot be slow & still only charge our very low rates!

7. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Who said anything about a bunch of old ladies? I would rather have the older one's anyway--they can't see my work. :laugh:

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

In my limited experience, most of the old ladies may complain some about how I do my work once in a while, but I have not had one complaint about my prices.

9. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want to waste my time looking through the paper daily, doing searches, and mailing a few flyers. Good idea, just not for me though.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I do, they give me tons of work and are ALWAYS the first to pay their bill.