uneven, bumpy yard with ruts

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by richardmb01, Apr 13, 2006.

1. richardmb01

richardmb01 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a solution to fix my yard, when I built the house I had it harley raked and seeded the front yard slopes toward the road and after seeding we got 2 storms totalling 8 inches of heavy rain. The front yard is about 1.5 acres I have filled in the large ruts and seeded but the fine ruts and small bumps are everywhere and hard to tell where they are. The grass actually has come in pretty good because I aerated and overseeded last fall. What I am looking for is some type of machine to smooth out and level the soil without to much grass damage.

Could I use a harley rake and not set to deep then overseed again in fall?

If not what machines could i use because wheelbarrow and rake is not working for me.

Thanks!

2. richardmb01

any suggestions?

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Cat D-3 dozer

Pretty much give up and start over.

4. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Richard
    How deep are the "fine" ruts?

5. richardmb01

blaze347, thanks for the reply

the ruts are probably max 1 inches deep, but they are under the grass so it is not like i can find the exact locations so filling them in will require me to topdress the whole yard, the way i can feel the ruts is from bouncing all around on my riding mower throughout the whole yard.

itsgottobegreen,

thanks for the reply I was afraid that might be my only option.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Oh well 1" you could top dress it thick, then use a fine chain link fence to drag around, which will fill in the low spots.