1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Uneven cut :(

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by UGA, Apr 25, 2003.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I have been away for a many months and returned today to find this GDane moderated forum and have to say GLAD to see you guys. As long as it took to get the web site up I was starting to think it was never gonna' exist but now not only is it up but your here as well so Good Job.

Well now that your here I have a few questions for you. I bought my 52" Surfer about 31/2 years ago slightly used (100 hours) through Commercial Lawn in Nashville, Tenn. I only put about 100 hours a year on it since I do my 3 acres and about 4-5 other yards on the side. It has a 22hp Kohler and for all intensive purposes I have been very impressed with my mowers speed and power in the THICK stuff (especially after I got the carb adjusted & cleaned out).
    With that said I have not been very pleased with the cut lately and I want to make sure I am doing everything to maximize a nice cut. For about a year I have been running double blade brackets with a gator on top and medium lifts on bottom. When I bought the med. lifts I thought they were high lifts but have since figured out otherwise. This combination seemed to work well for me for awhile but even with newly sharpened blades just doesn't give me the quality of cut that I am looking for.
    I have now ordered some true HI lift blades that will be in by the end of the week and I intend on removing the doubles and going with sharpened hi lifts to see how they perform. I have checked the tilt to make sure that I have about 1/4" front to back and I do and I experimented with raising and lowering the blades with spacers and feel like that where they have been is about the best which is about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the bottom of the deck.
    Could you please advise me on any other changes you might make or things to check. I know the grass I'm cutting is too thick to get a great cut but I've seen other mowers on the same grass do a much better job ( I won't name names here). Thanks for any feedback you could give me.
    I guess I should tell you what I don't like hugh? There are a lot of stragglers and grass not cut at all or places missed on even ground. Mind you I am cutting 4-6 " of grass off when this happens but even when its only 2-3" of grass it will miss some with my current setup. As well one of the blades is cutting at a different height than the other 2. I thought I had this figured out last year by experimenting with the spacers to first make sure they were all the same on all spindles and secondly to get them at the right height inside the deck. I ahave also checked tire pressure and it is the same on both sides. Thanks for any help you could give me.

2. Bill Baltzer

Bill Baltzer Great Dane Representative
    from NC

First, please check to make sure all 3 blades are the same length. (I am sure that was the first thing you did) Then check the pitch of the deck, make sure the front is lower than the back 1/8 to 1/4 inch. You have checked tire pressure and spindle spacers, next make sure there is no damage to your deck. Hitting an immoveable object like a tree or curb can bend a spindle housing and cause the blades to be uneven.

If none of the above suggestions work, I would recommend taking your machine back to your dealer to have them look at it.

3. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that was the first thing I did and they are all the same length. This wasn't present the first year of cutting, it only came up late last year but it seems to be getting worse or either I just noticed it more being early in the mowing season. I check my spindles from time to time to make sure they're tight and when I did last week the one that seems to be having the slightly higher cut was just a tad loose. It was so minor that I didn't even consider that to be a cause of any problem but maybe I need to crawl back under there this evening and check it out.
    Hey Bill,
    I have another question for you; it seems nearly impossible to find TRUE high lift blades for my surfer around here. My dealer has sold me some that he says are high lift but they just aren't-the lip of the blades aren't steep enough. I have now resorted to buying the same sized blades from after market distributors online and over the phone. What gives? Even when I look in the J Thomas and other catalogs they don't have any high lifts listed for Great Dane exept for mulching blades. There are many listed for Exmark, Scag, Bobcat, etc but not for GDane.
  4. Bill Baltzer

Bill Baltzer Great Dane Representative
    from NC

Wish I had better news for you; we only have one style blade for our machines (which does have a fairly nice lift). In terms of aftermarket blades, sorry, not much help there either. I do find it strange the catalogues offer replacement blades for scag and exmark but not GD.

Thanks for the tip.