uneven cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robertclarence, Aug 4, 2004.

1. robertclarence

robertclarence LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Great Dane Chariot from a local dealer that has 600 hrs on it. I noticed however that when I cut sideways on a hill it cuts uneven (about an inch lower on the downhill side) On flat surfaces it cuts beautifully. Anybody know of a way to remedy this problem? The dealer also replaced the belts before he delivered it but it seems that the belts vibrate and are pretty sloppy when the mower is engaged. Can someone tell me what's normal?

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like your air pressure may be too low. It may be the same in both tires but, it may also be too low. Does it happen if you go either way?

3. robertclarence

Good suggestion but the dealer just put new tires on it and they seem to be full enough. Oddly enough when I tried out an ExMark Turf Ranger 60" deck, it did the same thing on the same hill. Do you think I should lower the anti-scalping wheels so the edge doesn't go so low. I also noticed the mowing deck is hung on chains and at an incline they might swing lower on the downhill side? I sure would like to fix this problem.

4. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

If the hill has a deep slope, the weight shifts downward. It does this on my 36" WB... Not really much you can to but cut the with a push mower...

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My Scag 48" wb does the exact same thing...I've checked air pressure, changed blades, etc....nothing seems to work.

6. robertclarence

I was told by the dealer service that it is a trait of the zero turns when mowing sideways on an steep incline and the only remedy is to mow up and down the hill rather than on the side. Do you think setting the anti- scalping wheels lower will help or will that make for an uneven cut on flat ground?

7. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

What he said :D