Uneven Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by statman, May 18, 2008.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6x12 enclosed Haulin trailer that is just over a year old. I noticed that the tires are wearing more on the inside (toward the body of the trailer) than the outside. Is there a way to "plumb" the wheels?

2. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Bump, because I have this problem also. Mine is dual axle and the inside of the tires wear faster. Horton brand.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Seems like its overloaded. That's why the wheels would bow out.

4. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I think it is just the way it is???? I have 2 enclosed trailers that do the same. My tandem is worse in the back I think from turing around in courts a lot ad pushing the rear around.

5. FIRESCOOBY

That's what I would think also, but it's not. I took it back to have them check it and they said to rotate the rear tires with the front.

6. FIRESCOOBY

Just thought of something. Try rotating your tires from one side to another (assuming this is a single axle trailer).

7. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

if they are wearing bad on the inside the axle is over loaded and if you did it bad enough and with different tire's you prob bent the axle .unloaded they have a slight tip to the outside top of the tire ,and the axle has a bow upward's in the center .the axle and tire's have to be rated for the capacity your going to haul . i don't know if they can tell you the degree of angle on the axle's but look on http:www.dexteraxle.com they might have info for you . good luck :waving: