Uneven wear on trailer tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by IN2MOWN, Apr 3, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I just went through 2 tires in 6 months on my single axle, 6X14 trailer.

The insides and middles of the tires are completely bald while the outsides are worn but not bald.

The guy I got the tires from said the axle is probably bent but I noticed that when I took the wheels off the hubs seemed loose and shaky.

Anyone have any ideas...?

2. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

Wheels are loose and shakey? Check your wheel bearing they are too loose also how much weight are you hauling? a single axle trailer won,t haul very much. If you are overloaded that will cause the axle to bend in a ( u ) shape putting all the load on the outside of the tires. Hope this helps

3. IN2MOWN

I usually haul a JD stander which is right around 1000 Lbs and a 36 inch mower. Not to sure about the weight but I would say around 300-400 Lbs.

4. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

Do you know what the trailer is rated to haul I am sure you would be ok on weight. Wheel bearings should only have a fraction of an inch of play like about 1/16 or so at the outside edge of the tire, also check if the wheel feels rough or make a rumbling noise when you spin it. Is the trailer new, if so wheel bearings sometimes seat in requiring that you adjust them after a few miles. Remember always support anything that you jack up before working on it. Hope this helps

5. IN2MOWN

The trailer is rated at 2500 Lbs.

The wheels do make a noise when they are spun and when I had the wheels off I spun the hubs and could what sounded like bearings moving around.

Its about 10 years old or so.

6. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

You need to beef up your leaf springs, i have 5K springs on my 7 by 12

7. IN2MOWN

I just put new ones on about a month ago because one of them broke. I believe they have 3 leafs. I dont know what they are rated at though. I called my local trailer repair guy and gave him the measurements and he gave me what I needed.

8. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

probably needs new bearings

9. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

i have 4 or 5 i dont rember but their alot shorter.

10. IN2MOWN

Is that fairly easy job to do? Im fok at fixing things.