unexpierenced people tryin to start lawncare business???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn-Guy, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Lawn-Guy

Lawn-Guy LawnSite Member

i do not understand why so many un expierenced people are trying to start a business up blindly,granted im in the middle of starting my company BUT i have over 15 years expierence. i see all of the people asking what equipment do i need how do i do this or that,why would u want to get involved in something you know nothing about imo that would just increase the risk of failure that much more.yes anyone can cut grass but it takes someone with expierence and certain skills to make it profitable.like i said anyone can cut it but it takes skill to manicure and maintain it. i just do not understand this...
    i just figure if your gonna start a business why not get involved in something you have expierence and or knowledge of?

sorry just had to rant

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

If you know business, it doesnt matter what the nature of the business is. The rules are the same.

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

WELCOME TO LAWNSITE!

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I always had a hard time at autp parts stores, seems about mid to late 80's they started employing women and high school kids.

I never did understand it,

I took my truck in to have the front end alined, " BREAK CHECK " here in Houston,

walked in the guy said " rather over weight kid " may I help you, I said 1 min pls,
    walked over to the door to check there employees, he said sir you cant go in there.
    I said can you guys do an alinment, he said sure, I said let me see the person that you employee, to do this task, SURE ENOULF A 20 YEAR OLD KID COMES OUT.

I say, have a wonderfull day.

5. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Never judge a book by its cover. I have been surprised many times over. Yes, it is a risk to let someone younger take over, but sometimes they know their sh!t as well or better than an "old" person (Think "old timer's" or CRS diseases:laugh:).

Just my 2 cents worth.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

you my friend are lost. those kids know what they are doing, they have been to school for it or they have been trained. im 21 and was a certified mechanic for four years. just because they are young does not mean they dont know what they are doing.

7. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Easy, relatively low overhead cost to get started, not a lot of education needed to cut grass, and in this line of work cheap advertising actually works. Door hangers and flyers arent going to cut it if you do more technical work. And look at it this way it took you 15 yrs to start this? In fifteen years I hope to have sold my company and onto something else by then.

8. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

That's just as ignorant of a statement as if i said i'ld never hire you because your too old to be able to reliably handle a mower in the heat all day.

There are a lot of horrible young mechanics out there, however there are just as many horrible old mechanics that don't have a clue what they are doing on anything newer than a 1970 vehicle. I worked in a dealership as a technician, got my associates degree in auto technology, Chrysler certified, and ASE certified. You can't judge a persons abilities based on age. Expecually for something as simple as an alignment where a monkey could handle that as a computer does almost all the work for you.

9. LKNBigFish

LKNBigFish LawnSite Member
    from NC

its a job thats easy and cheap to start and it takes no formal education. were you an expert 15 yrs ago when you started? Does competion bother you?

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

... Lmao ... !!!