Unhappy Customer :(

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by alpine692003, Aug 25, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

"Please, don't send me the same person to clean the flower beds, as he knows nothing about plants. He took out flowering plants in full bloom! Poppies that I was waiting to send when dry, mini roses etc.. I am not charging you for the plants this time.

------------ signed customer... :mad:

Well, I was here @ this house with my employee doing this bed. I do recall us both doing it and I remember it was impossible to clear out the area nicely because it was COVERED WITH WEEDS!

You could not pull out the weeds without pulling out the plants..

Anyways, what would you guys do about this? I had called the customer, told her I apologize for this. I will replcae whatever you would like to be replaced and I will take care of this situation. I do not want unhappy customers!

:confused: :confused:

2. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

Apologize and replace. Not a lot else you can do.

Hey, **** happens and that's life. You made a mistake and you're fixing it.

Watch out for freebie this and that from her. Don't let her take advantage of you.

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

if you don't know weeds from flowers then you should not take on the job.

Poppies and mini roses have very distinct leaves

The client thought she had a landscaper when in fact it was just another grass cutter

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, choke on that eh? Geez, some people ;)

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

That comment reminds me of a Sherrill's bumper sticker I recieved a while back:

"Hire an arborist-- Let Tom, Dick and Harry cut the grass!"

We've started using it for our own purposes here, only we've changed "arborist" to "landscaper".....

Dan

6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

btw california AND oriental poppies grow like weeds here and are regarded as such by most. Many customers would be calling me if I Didnt pull them out of the beds right alpine and BCSteel?

7. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The poppies were not in California and the statement was the flowers were in full bloom.

There are alot of people cutting grass who call themselfs Landscapers.

This is simply not true. Read the post about
    "Quote You Know you are a landscaper When?

The people who responded talk of cutting grass not designing and installation of plant materials,or hardscaping.

To landscape is to modify (a natural landscape) by grading,clearing,or decorative planting.

To run a sucessfull Landscape business it may become necessary to incorporate grass cutting and other maintenance. So therefore
    Landscaping and maintenance (grass cutting) are a natural marriage.

Any Landscaper can push or ride a mower, but not any grasscutter can be a landscaper. Go after more education if you want to be a landscaper,learn your flowers,trees and hardscapes
    Don't take the job if don't know how to do it.

The extension agency has free phamplets on most every thing you do. They have a master gardener program which teaches
    basic landscaping and design, they have a Horticulturist program.

A book from Lowe's , or Home Depot can help. if you have not done the job take the time to learn it before taking it on.

8. BCSteel

Ha! By extension then, any lawn jockey can be a landscaper as well. Or dont you like the way that fits your narrow profile of landscape maintenance.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a big difference between LAWN maintenance and LANDSCAPE maintenance.

I agree with Norm on this one......... There's more to landscaping than just throwing mulch and firing up the gas shears......:rolleyes:

Dan

10. BCSteel

There is more to mowing than jumping on the old deere as well.