1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Unhappy homeowner with a Cub Cadet Tank

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JECHRIST123, Oct 19, 2005.

1. JECHRIST123

JECHRIST123 LawnSite Member

I have a problem with my 2004 Cub Cadet M60 Tank where the deck keeps on building up with grass, it gets so bad that after 3 hours of cutting I have to scrape out the underside of the deck. I also have been only cutting when the grass is dry, and I don't do any commercial cutting with this. I was wondering if anybody else has this problem?
    Thanks Jeff
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

are you mulching?

what blades are you using?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds normal we run sharp blades we scrap daily unless it is dry and you are cutting dust.
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

that is not normal. my 36" deck needs cleaning around oncea month, and the exmark needs to be cleaned oncea week (8 hours).
  5. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

That does not sound normal. What kind of grass are you cutting? Are you using the standard Marbane blades? Are they sharp?

Good luck,
  6. JECHRIST123

JECHRIST123 LawnSite Member

The mower has been back to the dealer 5 times for the grass build up problem. They re-pitched the deck several times, it is pitched so much that the wheels on the front of the deck dig in when you have any uneven terrain, especially when going around trees. The wheels have flat spots in them. They tried putting gator blades on but the problem is still there. The dealer told me we are the first ones to ever complain about the grass buildup. I have seen scags cut when the grass is wet and looked under the deck and the deck is shiny no grass buildup. I come to believe that I made a costly mistake when I bought the Cub Cadet M60 Tank.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Might be the problem, too much tilt.:)

On all my tanks the front wheels on the deck are in the top hole.
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

3 hours? You have quite a lawn there, don't cha? It's not unheard of to have to scrape a deck that often. Some parts of the year I scrape some after every lawn when it's really wet out. Other times I go for weeks w/o it needing it. One sandy dry lawn and it blasts it clean.

The large size of your yard also tells me it could be a pasture type lawn (i.e. not manicured and treated for weeds and probably not all "turf type" grass). The big ones like this that I do are almost always full of grassy weeds like quackgrass, foxtail, etc, and I have noticed that they tend to release sticky substances when cut that fine turf may not. I get a lot of buildup on some modestly tall grass fields that I have cut. Humidity conditions might contribute too, of course. They may also tend to grow taller than fine turf in between cuttings.

High lift blades may be on your mower and they cause more buildup I believe. Switching to med. lift could help. I bet gator types would work well.

Some of these lawns I do with the tough sticky grasses are nightmares if I get back to them in 8 or 9 days, but very manageable if I'm back in 6. How often are you mowing?