Unhappy with Lesco mower what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dlandscaping, May 1, 2002.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I've got a 2001 lesco 48 gear drive that i have hated since the day i got it. I bought it since it was $200less than an exmark bigg mistake that i will regret for the rest of my life. First off the mower never gives a good and even cut, I've adjusted the deck tried different blades, different bags (dealer said to try steel over cloth and i now have and hate the steel bag). I also get a ton of blowout from the left hand corner of the deck. Anything that is on the yard ends up on me or on the mower. I have 25hrs on it and the airfilter is so dirty it needs to be replaced. Oil has needed changing 4 times already as well. I brought it to the dealer and told him of the blowout and it was leaving uncut grass and a small line of clippings between the deck and bagger. He "tried it out" and found nothing wrong but gave me low lift blades to try and a steel bag no luck with either. The low lift blades give no cut at all basically. I cant use the mower when it is the summer or fall since leaves go all over or i get covered in dust. I am not cutting dirt here but it raises a dust storm and i end up eating the stuff. I have had a problem with it bogging down and actually stalling while my 36 toro with a 12.5 engine didnt even bog (it was the same yard and heights). It has started in gear which is a safety feature and they said they checked the wiring at the dealer. The wheel breaks do not work correctly and will sometimes not work at all or jump and skip making the machine go all over. When switching gears it jumps no matter how slow i let go of the handles. I am also now having engine troubles with it (15 kawi twin) where it makes all types of noises, almost dies when i turn the blades on or when the blades are on and i bring it to full throttle i have to wait about 25 seconds for it to come back to life. It is making all types of noises and i have checked air filter, fuel filter plugs and the gas. I cant stand this mower but dont know what exactly to do. My dad told me to write to lesco headquarters and ask for a refund or for them to buy it back from me. Do you think they would? I have been trying to dispose of it but havent found an interested party as of yet. This mower is just taking up space now and was wondering what all you guys would do with this machine if it was yours. I know now that i should have gotten an exmark.

2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I'll take it for $50. :) I would try the letter approach, or call, or both. Dont email, because nobody takes emails seriously. It is very easy to click delete, but much harder to get rid of something with printed record like a letter. A phone call is the worst, what are you gonna do, hang up on the customer? Just keep on pestering them, they might just crack. If you call, and just never let the person off the phone, they might just change their minds eventually. Just keep asking questions.. Oh, and how can I get this fixed, and OH, what about the filter, and Oh Oh! what about that god damn money I wasted?

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We use Lesco WB hyrdos kind of older and have no problems, i even got on a new one a freind has and work great. Maybe see if your blades are down to low. I do get dusty on our **** hole lawns,but everyone deals with that. EVen there new Viper does that , you have grass all down your shorts its so bad. But thats the blade speed. Sorry to hear that, Lesco seems like a good brand to me.

4. Sound typical of some one not knowing how to work on what they sell.

E-mail me and I will give you my phone number and fix this for you over the phone no problem as long as you have some machanical knowladge. And you can post what happens when all done.

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Try a left baffle from a Husq 48 or a Gravely 48, about $50

should help. I did this on my 61 Scag cuts 100% better. Also a

Turbo Baffle from scag. $25. Many on here use Lesco no problem.

Fix the problem $ 75. Buy another machine $2800?.

6. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i had a 48 hydro with 14 kawi,
    the worst commercial machine i have ever seen
    Hard to start, bad hydros, bad cutting,
    scalps alot, cheap paint.
    Actually it was an MTD but lesco made it.
    Never buy a product from them again.

7. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Alot of the problems you described are with the kawi motor, which is the same one you would have gotten on a metro 48. The air filter gets really dirty really quick, so check that. If the air filter is clogged then it will run rich and foul the plugs. It happened on my 15 kawi, and the filter didn't seem that dirty. Even after you clean the filter the plugs are already fouled so the problem worsens.

One other thing to think about if your 15hp is spinning 3 blades, and your 12.5 is only spinning 2, then your 36" has 6.25 hp per blade, while the 48" only has 5.

I don't know what to tell you about the deck, but I had a problem with my scag hydro not cutting very well. I took the advice of TLC and raised the deck up as far as it would go (not the casters, but the deck) and put more spacers inbetween the blade and the deck thus increasing the depth of the deck. It really made a difference. Also I would stick with high lifts.

You are probably right though, you should have gotten an exmark, but not because a kawi 15 on an exmark is any better than one on a lesco, just because the deck cuts nicer. I think that the lesco is a little heavier duty than an exmark though. I would just learn to live with it because I doubt you are going to get a refund.

8. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

Your dad seems like a pretty smart guy. Send them a letter. Their corporate motto is "they want you a customer for life" Use the motto to your advantage but be prepared for them to buy the mower back and give you store credit only with a restocking charge of 15%.

Another way is to go back to your local store and tell them that you want to fill out a customer complaint form. It is a three part form white, pink yellow pages. Don't let them talk their way out of it since it requires them to report their misdeeds to upper management and usually brings another 3 levels of management to look at your problem not to mention a whole lot of paperwork on their part(they would rather have a upset customer than have to fill out paperwork). If this doesn't work call 800-321-5325, ask for Kay Leicht in Customer Service(she is responsible for tracking customer complaints)and first complain about how the store wont fill out the customer complaint form and then go on about the mower.

Good luck. After all their new CEO is talking about customer happiness