unhappy with the bill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LA LAWNS, Nov 16, 2005.

1. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

My regular cutomer called and asked me to clean her lawn. The hurricane really made a mess around here. Anyway, she wants me to get all of her mulch out of the lawn. All the large debris was already picked up. So, 2 men, 2 hours. Under normal conditions, 30 minutes. I bill her for the 2 hours. She drops a brick in her pants. Her regular service is $45. I billed $170 for the 2 hours, which is $85 an hour for 2 men, or $42.50 per man hour.
    After she discusses it with her husband she will call again. Still waiting to hear from her. What would you tell her?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

If she is a good customer I would tell her, well since it was hurricane damage, I will knock off 10% from the bill

3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

this might not work in this situation but here is what i did one time
    this lady asks for me to glue the top layer of her retaining walls down since they were moving around. so i did. i had over 70 bucks in glue and 5 hrs in the job. i send the bill for 200 bucks and she shits a cow. i got my reciepts up and went over there, showed em to her and told her just to pay what she thought was fair. i left with a check for the full amount.

4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tell her this is exactly what another company you know of charged per man hour to cleanup after hurricane Charley tore the H!ll out of our area. We had very few complaints and many thankyou"s, both in person and in thankyou letters. The complaints of course came from the wealthiest of my clients. PS they all paid, do not work to make rich folks richer!:angry:

5. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

Hey man here in New Orleans and I am having a few of the same issues. I had a woman that had cut the front of her lawn but, the back was waist high and had a pool that she just had post katrina cleaned. I told her 80 for the back and she asked if I was crazy....I replied I must be and walked away.
    I am getting no less that 175 for the clean up jobs around here people haven't cut some of the lawns since the hurricane and it is noe friggin November. Our first substantially cold day was today and that was the 60 degree temps

6. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I would say to her is pay me my $170. Did she think you were gonna do all that for the normal price?

7. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I had some people call this summer that had not cut the lawn in over a year since hurricane Charley. I do not have a tractor and have plenty of other work so I did not touch these 6' tall lawns but it sure was funny listening to the excuses for not mowing at all for over a year!

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

got a customer a few weeks ago in a upscale development($500,000and up) I charge $150month for lawn care.He called and wanted 2 palms &4 oaks trimmed up.Do the work,haul 4 loads to the dump&bill him $450.he called me going off stating he thought that was included in the regular lawn care!

9. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you discuss the price before you did the work?

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

mbella is right..any and all work that is over and above your normal work...any xtra work requested
    The price should be discussed and agreed upon prior to doing the work.