Uniform / grooming policy

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Shorelandscaper, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Shorelandscaper

Shorelandscaper LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Im curious if anyone else has a uniform policy out there. Granted I only have 3 guys but I dont allow visible tattoos or jewelry other than wedding bands. No motley crue type haircuts, and must wear the provided uniform (no cutoffs, "wife beaters" or saggy drawers. Think im going overboard?
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Not with the dress code and jewelry. Tattoos, maybe. Some guys will have a tough time hiding all of their tattoos. I personally don't have any. I would rather they be hidden, but once you get to that point, you are going to have a tough time recruiting.
  3. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Op spot on.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I totally agree with you.
  5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Not at all. Some people pay for a professional service and they have the expectation that a professional-looking service will be showing up.
  6. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

Image is everything. Plus you have to take in to account the safety factor of loose clothing and jewelery, shorts, tennis shoes and the like. You also forgot to mention ear-rings!!
  7. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

My friend in the UK has a groundie who has helped PT in the past and is covered with piercing on his face and ears. When customers see this person for the first time my friend takes the customer to the side and explains that when he was younger he was involved in a gas explosion. The customers usually excepts the story at face value and the groundie gos on with his work no more the wiser.
    easy-lift guy
  8. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

"Tats" are actually becoming pretty common-palace and main-stream in this day and age. You would have to require some guys to wear long sleeved turtlenecks to cover up all that ink!!! :nono:
  9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Your fine except maybe for the tats, I personally don't like them, but like was said above they've become common place and acceptable within reason. Clean uniforms are a must. Period! In order to maintain that though YOU must provide them. I take them out of their paycheck.
  10. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

I furnish shirts, hats, hoodies, jackets. But they must buy and furnish there own khaki or brown work pants I allow khaki shorts must be heavy carhartt type but not on guys running trimmers. No smoking on jobs no shirts off ever. They better be clean and shaved or they are going home. Lastly no thing but leather work boots. I feel image of employees, trucks, equip. This is part of what the customer is paying for.
    Posted via Mobile Device