Uniform Idea

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by packey, Jan 14, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at replacing my tan botton down work shirts with a new style of shirt. I noticed that their is a company that makes high visibility button down shirts in several different Colors. These shirts have a duble reflective strip across the back on the sholders sleeves and front. The shirst looked realy professiona since they where button down and would give added visibility in early morning and late evening hours as well as added visibility at night. Does anyone have any thoughts about shirts like this.
  2. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Got a website so we can see what your looking at?
    Sounds interesting
  3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW, button down shirts will catch some mower handles when turning to the right. Of course, this is mower handle specific...

4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We've used button down shirts for the past 25 years. The only issue we ever have with catching is when not tucked in. We require all employees to tuck them in for that reason.
    We use orange shirts as posted in another thread here. The visibility is excellent and they are very reasonable.
  5. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We bought our uniforms for our emp. I wish i would of rented at the expense to the emp. cause they would get ripped, burnt very dirty and would never look good again. Rent from armark or cinta's its like 10-15 per week per emp.
  6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I probably will not use aramark again if I can help it We used them while working with a school district and had a hard time with the company replaceing wornout snd torn uniforms. I was actually thinking of buying the clothes and having my wife do the laundry. We already have a second washer and dryer for my work clothes. Then we would just charge the guys for laundry service. what do you think.
  7. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I dont know how the guys do it but they get rips and bad stains that are next to impossible to get out. Thats the only reason i was buying second hand uniforms for $15 for pants and shirt. but $15x 5 sets =75 and then they dont take care of it and then on warm to hot days they are taking the clothes off. I would take the first 75 off the pay check so they own them and then go from there and tell them you will wash them for free but if they wreck them they are responsible to pay for the new ones???
  8. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

This has worked for me with only minor headache:
    Each employee is issued 5-7 sets of uniforms to include pants, shirts, belt, hat, jacket...etc.
    They read and sign a form to acknowledge they are responsible to maintain the clothing and come to work in a clean (wrinkle free) uniform each day. Any damage done to the uniform during work duties must be shown to the crew leader immediately. If it is from being careless, they can visit with me for 20 minutes on how to be more careful....of course this is done after hours so they have to stay to hear me *****. Nobody wants to go there>>!!
    They do not get their final check until all issued items are turned in and inspected. Each piece has a value upon issuance. If someone turns in pants full of white paint (we don't paint)...they just bought a pair of pants!! Have done that a couple of times over the last 15 years.
    If they don't like wearing the uniforms...I simply tell them not to let the screen door hit them on the way out!
    It is my image. It will stay professional.
  9. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

We've tried several uniform services and have found them to be either too costly, or inconvenient as far as delivery times, new employee set-ups, etc..

We have since gone to fluorescent green tees, screen printed with logo and website, and also a jacket with logo. They meet OSHA requirements for when we service medians or along roadways. The guys are required to wear their own jeans and keep them clean and free of rips and holes. A few balked, but we provide other perks to keep 'em happy.