Uniform question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Edgewater, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Here I go,

How do all of you who have company uniforms handle them

1) Do you give them out or do employees buy?

2) How many shirts,hats, pants etc per employee?

3) How do you enforce replacing older worn out clothes?

4) When employees no longer work for you, how do you insure that they are not wearing old t-shirts and hats. ie employee wears t-shirt or hat to the bar and gets in some kind of stupid trouble. Do they have to hand them in when they quit or are fired?

Any help on these would be much appreciated.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

When I was a mechanic our uniforms were leased through a service and if any were damaged in a preventable way we got docked relacemnet fee. Owner would hold your last check until you returned the property alhtough I don't think it was totally legal. A security deposit probably would have been though. Good question.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

When I had employees they got 3 shirts, and 2 hats. They were required to buy their own pants though. The shirts and hats were to be returned if terminated, if they were not returned they were deducted from their paycheck (signed by them in the handbook). Also if they really needed new uniforms they were replaced with them. Usually employees only went through 3-5 uniforms a year
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We lease our uniforms also. 13 pants, shirts, and 2 jackets per guy. anything gets damaged we get a replacement. We pay for the startup fee per person, and also half of the weekly service charge. I think it's about $7.00 that comes out of their check every week. For that money they never have to buy another piece of work clothing & get their wash done every week... guaranteed. :)
  5. Edgewater

thanks for the help, I was thinking along those lines,

any other input is welcome
  6. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

Paponte has the best way! Works for us too! The employees have no excuse not to be in uniform, looking clean and respectable at all times while representing your company! Leasing is not very expensive and is a totally deductable expense!

We tried everything before leasing--and we found it hard to enforce dress rules and keep everyone lookin' good.
  7. Edgewater

Could somebody explain the details of leasing, how much initial cost, are uniforms customized etc

8. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Edgewater, did you ever get a response to this post? Interested in going that route also, but was unsure of how (or if) the rent uniforms can be customized for you company?
  9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the leasing / supply places around here can scan your logo right into the sewing machine, and apply it directly to the shirts, jackets, etc..One place here uses a cloth "badge" on their shirts and coats. Your info is placed on the "badge" and when you turn them in, they remove it to re-lease to another company. We have our uniforms done by the same company who does our trucks and signage. Our logo has 6 colors in it, so they use a process called "roland printing", which can be used on about anything we need. I give each guy 10 shirts(8 tshirts and 2 polos) and 2 hats or visors..they supply their own khaki shorts and pants. The shirts and hats are mine, and are returned on quitting / firing. I have several shirts in XL and XXL, so I don't get any new ones made up until I see if the new hire will stick around more than a week or two.