Uniforms

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Crewcutlawncare, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Crewcutlawncare

Crewcutlawncare LawnSite Member

Should I as a Company Owner provide all of the unforms for my employees, or should I have them pay for it out of their own paycheck?

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want them to wear uniforms I would pay for it. If you dont mind them wearing steet clothes then you don't have to pay. Personally, if I were your employee and you told me I had to wear a uniform and also buy it with my own money... id tell you to go F yourself!

3. Crewcutlawncare

Okay well thanks for your input. I kind of thought that people would react that way too. It's just that I will be doing work for a big client, and I want my employees to look professional and all, but I can't afford it at this time and point.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

we just have company t-shirts that i buy i get them with logo on back for 5-7 dollars apiece depending on the size get three for each guy. they have to have them on at work if they show up with out one then they must pay for a replacement.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

most companies make the employees pay at least part of thier uniform price.
    It is cheaper for people to buy uniforms than wear thier own shirts..
    A simple lettered shirt cost about $5-$7.00...
    the shirts guys will ruin at work they they own cost about double that.

We give out 5 free then we charge for the cost of the shirt for ones after that.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Years ago when I worked for Stanley Steemer doing carpets, we had to buy them ourselves and as a helper you weren't making much to start with so like he siad there would be animosity.

7. Crewcutlawncare

If any of you get work pants for your employees, such as Dickies, how many pairs do you usually give them?

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

they supply thier own bottoms.. you can dictate what type.

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I Work Full Time For A Company That Offers But Doesn't Require Uniforms. We Can Purchase Company Logo Shirts And Wash Then Ourselves And We Get Our Pants From Cintas. It Is A Good Deal If You Have Enought Business To Make It Worth Their Wild. I Pay $14 Every Two Weeks And They Give Us 11 Pairs Of Pants In The Begining And They Wash 5 Of Them Each Week. The 11th Pair Is For The One That You Will Be Wearing When He Comes To Pick Up. I Have To Pay For This Out Of My Pocket, But I Do It Willingly B/c If I Didn't I Would Have To Buy At Least 4-5 Pairs Of Pants My Self And Then I Would Have To Wash Them. This Way, They Wash Them For Me And If They Get Damaged I Think They Charge Like $3 For A Replacement Pair. You Ought To Look Into It. Oh, They Do Shirts Too

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I require all employees wear a company shirt (sweat shirt in cool weather tee's in warm and ball caps). Since I require I pay for them, and request that upon leaving my employ that they return the shirts. Have only had around three not returned so far. I get a local silk screen and embroidery shop to make them and buy in bulk, for a discount.