Uniforms

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

Just got in the uniforms today for the business. I have to say they look really good. The are Charcoal grey work pants with Light gray button up work shirt with Name and Business name. Hope this will help with getting commercial accounts. Plus I am tried of wearing out my regular clothes. The work clothes I got were from Aramark and they cost only 15 for pants and 15 for shirt with Embroidery. Can't beat it! I will have to get a digital pic so I can show eveyone.
    :D

2. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

That type of uniform definately looks mor professional, but I wore a uniform like that for 10 years and I could not wait to get out of it! The material is uncomfortable on a 12 hr day in the 90 degree temps. (for the summer) I prefer shorts and a cotton shirt. I have the type that is like a t-shirt, but with a collar that makes it like a golf shirt. The Logo is on the top left and looks rather good. I pay about $8.00 for these.

3. dhicks

dhicks Member

I bought some light weight pants from Weargard and they are good quality. I bought because I was tired of having my legs ate up by my string trimmer. Full lenght pains were too hot and I'm back to wearing shorts. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now when I trim, I put on the W.E. Chaps I bought at Expo.

4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a little bit in doubt on what to get for more uniforms. We are using t-shirts like the second picture with logo and #, but I am considering the work shirt picture with just the company name embroidered. I know the work shirt will look better in the long run (wear better...t-shirts are getting run down looking), but am I losing advertising since the work shirt has only the name and not the huge logo on the back with #? If I decide with the work shirt I will not have it embroidered with the logo or screen printed. Just embroidered name on pocket. Suggestions...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I don't think it is so much the phone number, but the idea of getting your name out there and letting people get familiar with it.

So it would be better to have your name somewhat larger than to worry about a phone number.

Just say you are in the mall. An older lady that is looking to have her grass cut sees the back of your shirt. I just don't see her keeping up with you, pulling out a pencil and paper and scribbling down your phone number. She will either approach you, or remember your name which is much easier to remember than a phone number, and then she will look your name up in the phone book.

I think shirts are good way to get your name recognized. The name is the effective part of the advertising, the phone number is really secondary.

6. LoneStarLawn

These shirts that I am talking about will only be for workwear, so you wouldn't see us wearing them in a mall. Our embroidered polo-shirts are worn outside of work and estimates.

7. 1MajorTom

So then what's the debate with the phone number?

If you are working, you will either be working for one of your customers who already has your phone number, or you will be in your work truck which probably already has the phone number on it.

So where does the phone number come into play? What am I missing here?

8. LoneStarLawn

I am not debating the phone number...it is the style of the shirt.

The workshirt will not have the large logo on back as the t-shirt does. So my question is will I be losing advertising going with the workshirt with just the embroidered name versus the t-shirt that has the phone number and large logo on back?

I was just describing the shirts(since the pic doesn't actually show the #)...phone number was not the debate.

9. 1MajorTom

I'm trying to think up a scenerio of how you would be losing work
    because you wouldn't have the large logo and number. That's why I came up wih the mall idea. That's the only idea I could think of where your truck wouldn't be around.

If you are at work, isn't your truck always parked in front of the jobsite. Do you think somone driving down the road would be more apt to squint to see the large logo on your back, or would they just look at your truck?

I'm seriously just trying to figure out what position you would be in where not having a large logo and number on the back of your shirt could cost you a job?
    If you are only wearing these shirts at work, then your truck with the magnetic signs is always around right?

10. LoneStarLawn

Your right. The only time I can think of is when we eat out at lunch, but the truck is still outside. Do you think the workshirts are more professional or do you think they are pretty much the same?