UNIFORMS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLC INC, Jul 10, 2000.

1. SLC INC

SLC INC LawnSite Member

I require may employees to wear uniforms. I give my guys polo style shirts and baseball hats with my logo on them. I do require them to buy thier own pants, &quot;Dickie&quot; Style gray work pants.<br>I am wondering if you other owners require your employees to wear uniforms. If so do you give them to them, or make them buy them.<p>Your info is appreciated!!

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I'd set a &quot;standard&quot; and start them off with 3-4 sets of pants and t-shirts or polos. Its not all that expensive, and if they act like proffesionals when they are wearing them, they will be a great marketing tool too! This can really change the image of your company. Good call SLC!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. SLC you should be providing the pants also if<br>you require a certain look. If fact you might want to check with you state and the feds to see if you might be breaking some law<br>by not providing the pants.

4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any employees at this time, but I'm looking into a uniform for myself; a standard to set. My thinking, at this juncture, was a ballcap and t-shirt with my logo/company name for starters, and sticking with my classic blue jeans.<p>However, I see a lot of mention of the polo shirts and think that might be a better idea (although I still like to wear a tank top on really hot days to work the tan on my shoulders ;) ). This is the first mention I've seen of pants. &quot;Dickies&quot; might be more professional a look, should I invest my uniform dollars in that direction and choose form over the functional denim?<p>There's no end to the bits o' info one can glean here, is there? :)<p>-TGC

5. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

I think uniforms are a must if you want to move up in this dog eat dog industry. What do they do? They make it clear you mean business and are a professional. I am not fooish enough to say that my work is better or I make more becuase i have a uniform but I will say that first impressions are everything. I had a client to tell me the beginning of spring that she really liked my uniforms and that few people in this industry had them. Secondly she could only think of one other company in town and they had red shirts. Colors are a very important tool in company recognition. If people become aware that your color is associated with that project because your people are out there then that is free advertising. Another thing is that i feel the collarded shirt is another step up the ladder and embroidery over screen printing is another advantage. Now now don't be foolish again. Tees are great and can be very effective. Especially when a web address or something catchy is printed on the back. Uniforms are a must in a competitive big city market.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

6. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

lawrence stone,<br> I don't believe that I have ever heard of a state or federal law requiring the employer to supply the pants of a uniform. As a matter of fact, I used to work for a large corporate america type outfit and they only paid 1/2 the price for uniforms and that was hats,shirts,jackets and coveralls if needed in your particular area, it was never said that any colored or type of pant required or otherwise would be reinbursed or split with employee. I believe that SLC INC is doing himself, his employees and his company a great service by providing what he does plus he can write it off<br>

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

TGC- Toss the jeans and go with a dickies style work pant. I think they finish off that proffesional look. I actually find them to be much more comfortable then jeans any way, and stains come out much easier. As for the collored shirts vs. the t-shirts/tank tops. There is a time and place for everything, I think while your bustin your ass out there on a job, where whats comfortable, but when you come to bid on my commercial property or snooty pooty &quot;estate&quot; don't show up in a tank top!! :)<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

8. sunrise

sunrise Banned

Some high end government propertys has a law that requires you to have or suplly paint,boot,button up shirts(no T shirts)<br>or you go home.

9. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that L. Stone is correct about the pants requirement, although I have seen some companies require the employees to purchase pants. Uniforms are definitely the way to go and are required by some bid specifications. If you have enough employees, consider a uniform service. They provide clean, pressed uniforms weekly with your logo, sized to each employee. Otherwise buy the best quality, most serviceable shirts that you can afford. Also remember to order jackets with your logo on them for the cold season. That definitely makes a good impression when you go to bid jobs.

10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I have shirts with the comany name on the front and back however shorts are always worn..you would die in jeans or dickies around here..from heat...legs get banged up bad...but we have a good look...