1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Uniforms ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John at JDH Select, Feb 25, 2003.

1. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

How many of you are putting your crews in "full-uniform"? In the past, we have always used screen-printed t-shirts, but I am considering full uniform as a value added, professional item. ANy thoughts?
  2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have Polo shirts and blue jenes for my crews.
  3. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I had T Shirts done with my Logo name and number on the front and back screenprinted. Also had some hats made. I am thinking of getting some embroding done as well. The cost is a bit much but it would help standout from all the others out there that are wearing a Stone Cold Steve Austin T Shirt and a Budwiser hat.

I only have a few guys as helpers but to have a good looking crew with matching shirts and hats is more professional.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Residential, a screen print is fine. Some larger commercial jobs we do full uniform.
  5. MacKenzie

MacKenzie LawnSite Member

Me and my one " guy " will be in uniform - dockers, boots and polo's with embrodiered logos on the left chest. Took the advice from etwman. Image is very important when your going for high end accounts.

The embrodery wasn't too bad for us - $116.00 to set up the plate and then $6.00 for each shirt. I end up paying about $32.00 for each shirt. I think the embrodery looks better than screen printing - but that's just my opinion.
  6. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We do full uniforms with company dockers visor and a embrodered shirt. Last year my crews were wearing that for both lawn care and landscaping i think this year iam going to order jump suites for landscaping. Let me know what you think? I think and like to see 3 of my guys in uniform in a lawn.
  7. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

John: Check around. I'm solo and the embroidery shop I use will work on items you bring in. I purchased some long sleeve and tee shirts, along with a cap and windbreaker and had just the company name embroidered on the left breast and on the hat. Total cost was $75 ($25 set up and $5 per item). As I recall the set up charge would have been $50 if I had my full two color logo. If you find a shop that will work on your items you can save $ as the purchase price is generally much less for the shirts, plus you get what you want rather than what the shop has to offer. My uniforms are green pants and tan shirts.
  8. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I am a firm believer in uniforms. The more complete the better.

I know that many property managers especially for the more demanding commercial properties require a full uniform.

Consider this too.

When we are all out working, who is it that we meet at every door? The house wife.

I know from experience that a woman is more likely to open the door for a clean shaved, well groomed person than any other individual.

Put the ladies at ease and you will probably get the job.

It's worth the money,

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I don't wear uniforms, but if I ever went to uniforms, for me or whoever might be working for me, I would go with army green shorts, with Velcro pockets. For tee shirts white with green logo would be cool. Professional or not, Long pants are just to hot for lawn care.
  10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Uniforms give a more professional appearance. I'm sure some will say otherwise. But if you ask customers, They'll agree with me. Good luck.