Unilock Brussels patio $$?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dmbmikee, Aug 23, 2004.

1. dmbmikee

dmbmikee LawnSite Member

Hey Guys, question here:

Am bidding a patio job using Unilock Brussels pavers which I've never used before. I've found the cost of the pavers alone is pretty steep. Do you charge Xtra when doing a patio or walkway with this type of paver?

I'm having trouble coming up with the numbers based on my usual formulas. I am bidding th entire patio w/o landscape for $12,700. Check out the pic and tell me what ya' think. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton.....!

2. dmbmikee

dmbmikee LawnSite Member

Oh and just so there is no confusion, the walkway is 28' long and 3' wide, and is included in the $12,700
  3. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

The picture did not show up in the first post.

Sorry it showed up after I replied
  4. BostonGuy

BostonGuy LawnSite Member

Can you explain the wall and stairs a little?
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, the first thing you should do, is make the walkway wide enough for two people to pass each other on. Typically, walkways should be at least 4.5 to 5 feet wide minimum. The narrrow three footers are usually done by concrete guys that have no clue about landscaping. Just some advice for you.

Secondly, obviously you need to charge more money for these jobs due to the material being more. As far as installation of these products, they are really no different than most other pavers as far as installation. They require all the same prep work and your only cost difference will be the blocks. Mark them up accordingly and you can figure the job like other paver jobs except the material will be more. I'm doing Brussels at my own home and I love them. They look awesome when completed.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I'd just figure my regular labor rate, and raise price appropriately for extra cost of the pavers. I would also recommend a walkway width of no less than 42". You may also want to consider building the stairs into the wall.

How about a natural edge on the beds vs. aluminum edging?
  7. dmbmikee

dmbmikee LawnSite Member

Hey Guys!! Some great replies, thank you!

Boston Guy,
    The stairs and wall are basically tied into each other as you know. The patio will be flush with the ground from about the window ledge to about 5 foot out, away from the house. As the patio reaches the complete 16' foot, it will have to be raised in order to hold level even with the slope for drainage. Also, on top of the patio the customer wants like two or three wall sections built for seating. The sections will be probably about 3' ft. high and 3-5 ft' long. Then where the stairs are, there will be pillars at each side of the stairways. Steps are basically just regular steps stepping down from the house, then down from the patio.

As for the walkway, the customer said they just want it 3ft wide.....**** I had a Japaneese dude a month ago that wanted me to make his walkway 60 ft' long and 1 ft wide.....lol I talked him into 2.5' ft.....lol

Aluminum edging and plastic edging are lawnmower feed. Anyone who does landscape knows these products (especially the plastic junk) look like ****. I never suggest, and often talk them out of going with this. I'd rather the just edge the beds then screw with that crap. Anyhow, some people just want there stuff to look like that......But yeah GreenMonster, I agree with ya' on the natural edging.....especially with the brussels blocks.

Randy, How much more should I charge? I usually do about 10$ a sq. ft. but with the cost of brick being higher, I'm not sure how much higher I should go? I mean I can just add the extra price of the brick to what I would have charged with standard pavers.....but still it doesn't seem right....Seems too high....Anyhow, thanks again guys! You Rock!
  8. dmbmikee

dmbmikee LawnSite Member

Oh and GreenMonster, I plan on building the wall into the stairs. I just have to figure out how....lol
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

How can it seem too high when all your doing is adding the cost of the material? You certainly can't do it for the same as Hollandstone or Olde Greenwich or the likes because they are approximately 40 to 50% less in cost. You have to charge what you have to. Either sell the customer a cheaper paver or they need to buck up for the nicer block. Simple as that.

Another note, seating walls, true seating walls, should be approximately 18 to 19 inches high to go from standing to sitting comfortably. Otherwise you are just building a wall. :D

Finally, without getting into pricing issues, that's for you to figure out. I will say though, based off your rough sketch and guesstimates on your needed materials, 12 or 13 grand for that job, if done proper by you, is a gift to the homeowner?
  10. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Also, on top of the patio the customer wants like two or three wall sections built for seating. The sections will be probably about 3' ft. high and 3-5 ft' long.

I think 3-feet high for a sitting wall is way to high. We build them 16-20-inches high, but mostly at 18-inches high.