Unions Vs. Slip-Fix for repair situations

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, Aug 28, 2013.

1. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Just my .02 cents but it seems like a slip fix is direct burial where as a union you would want in a box so it is accessible for any reason in the future.

2. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

I know some Swimming pool hacks that just heat up the pipe and stretch it haha, horrible idea.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

As opposed to irrigation hacks?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Or plumber hacks? Or lawnboy hacks?

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I've used slip-fixes since the beginning. Never had a problem and they can save a lot of time. Using a union for a repair never crossed my mind. I think NIBCO was the first to come out with them and are my choice but Spears and the King Brothers (KBI) have come out with cheaper versions that the distributors like to stock.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

love me some slip fix, use them all the time. however, I try to not use them if I can on a main, though I have many times. I have never had one fail, installed fully extended. I have found there is a great dif in overall length between dif brands, so I have extra short ones for those hard to fit and repair areas. spears I think, but cant remember which is which

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I like using two unions to make a repair on PVC mainline, in fact I did it today to install a tee for extending the 2" main for more zones.

By the way what the hell does you signature mean?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I just don't like unions much is all, but I can understand the appeal for sure.

my sig, lol.

pretty lame really.........I have a love for grass, and grass business is tough like love. it goes further than that but we wont go there. the other part, if you could read the sign on that shop toilet of ours, it says something stinks. so, I have a pic asking if you smell "sheet" for no reason other than I find it funny

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering how you're using four 45's?

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

The same way you use 4 - 90's. it just takes a little finess. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device