unique / fun / informative things about your crews style

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redmax fan, May 18, 2008.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

just a fun thread to pass along simple tips or laughs =

- we call dog waste ' land mines ' because you dont wanta step on one .

- we call the hot girl that works the register where we gas up every morning the ' gas goddess ' .

- we never yell across yards so that homeowners dont have to wonder what the yellings about , we either whistle or wave an arm over head to catch other guys attention . then weve a bunch of hand signals developed over time to flash each other so were not yelling .

- we call talkative customers that take up alot of our time gabbing each week ' lawn hawks ' , and were like the little mice they swoop down on and devour .

- in a take off of navy seals we call our selves , when just playing around , ' lawn seals ' .

- when we get into a heavy work load and are run down kind of dragging we say were in a state of ' lawn shock ' .

thats all i can thik of for now .
  2. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

When we hit the yard it is all work and no play for myself and the three guys with me but once we are in the truck between yards that becomes their quality time to text the different girls they are hooked up with and to have a contest on passing gas. it doesn't help when you take breaks that they eat sardines, deviled eggs and beef jerkey.
  3. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

we used to have nicknames for every customer like snake lady (hated snakes), chipmunk, grumpy guy, etc. It was fun for us but we didn't always know their real name if we needed to talk to them :(
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You should try 'lawn gagging'

That's what happens to you like in spring when a cloud of pollen or mower dust gets in your throat and you almost die while you're coughing and spitting etc.
  5. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

topsites I think I must get the very same thing. Out of the blue I can feel it coming on and I don't care what I do there is no stopping it until I bend over double and literally almost throw up. It sure is embarassing when it hits you while talking to a customer.
  6. redmax fan

LOL , i dont know a bunch of customers names either . we have nick names like = ' free whilly ' (a heavy set guy we named after the whale) , mr crab apple (grumpy guy) , ' the god father ' (has a sopranos bumper sticker) .
  7. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

The Bloody Ear Guy- First time I talked to him his ear was bleeding, his wife is bloody ear lady

Dog with Two Asses People- the dogs hair is so long you can't tell if its coming or going

Drunk Guy- he flagged me down one day while he was drunk out on his driveway

Mulch Psycho- the guy puts an individual 6 inch mulch ring around every friggin plant in his backyard

Mr. S***- uses the word "s***" to describe anything and everything. example: "Could you cut the **** a little lower this time and make sure you dont get any of that **** in the pool, i hate cleanin that ****, thanks...****"
  8. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

'Trimmer pants' pants that are green to the knees from trimming
    'sketchy trailer' the trailer nobody should be taking out on the road
    competition over which crew will stay out longer and cut more
    The mess in food containers and clothing left in the trucks each night
    The year the female crew would flirt with other company male crew's
    (what did you think they would do, act like nuns?)
    Hand signal of 2 thumbs up at chest height indicating 'are we done here?' to which the response would be 2 thumbs up indicating 'yes we are done' all over the roar of the mowers
  9. redmax fan

speaking of trimmer pants im the whipper on our crew and whip 100 lawns a week so have trimmer pants every day , and when i get home ive a plastic milk carton and a nylon brush on back porch . i put carton on lawn to sit on , then i remove boots and brush off my pants and socks . then i throw socks in a seperate 5 gallon plastic planter pot ive sitting in laundry room so i can wash all my socks by hand in bucket or seperately from everything else in a small wash machine load . then i drape trimmer pants over the side of laundry tub with the last 18" of both legs laying in bottom of tub . i then turn on hot water a squirt some dish soap on and scrub wash the bottom of pant legs so that all the grass / chloraphyl (green) is removed from pants before going in wash machine .

and i always buy RED CAP brand navy blue work pants , best work pants ive ever wore .
  10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I work by myself so the talking part is pretty much out. But on the gc I used to work at if I describe some nice line-droppin beams, rolling equipment-spinning figure eights like dorthy hamill, weedwackin all day-in the s%^&, with the grunts
    our boss, who was a bit full of himself-watch what your doing or yuo'll get banged the f%$# out...priceless my sides still hurt from remembering that