1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Unique Lighting Sytems

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by forestfireguy, Apr 18, 2007.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Anyone using this system? Our rep from Shemins is pushing it as the best lighting system availible. Supposed to be very user friendly and not labor intensive. If you are using this product have you found the Demo package sales kit to be an effective tool? Thanks Guys
  2. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Dont drink the KOOL AIDE!:laugh:
  3. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Wellllllllllllllllll, fairly strong claim. I would put them in the same arena with Vista. They do have 20 watt tap transformers though:) up to 22 I think
  4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Its a good product... To claim to be the best is a real bold statement. From what I have learned in my short lighting career is everyone has some good and some bad fixtures. Its hard to lean on one line exculsivly. I wouldnt hesitate to install Unique as it is a quality product.

demo kits CAN be effective. I dont chase the free demo offer or something but if a client is serious or I want to confirm my design plan I will do a demo. I have now started charging 100 bucks for a demo if they do not buy. Chasing lights around in bushes at 9pm sucks and you should be paid for it or at least know your client is super serious about this.

"supposed to be very user friendly and not labor intensive" Seans right. Dont drink the kool aid on that one. Lighting is alot of work to do it right. I dont care if your using malibu or auroralight. Digging wires is hard work. Adjusting tree lights is hard work. Climing around in bushes is hard work. Im sick of manufactures and dist alike telling guys this is easy and not labor intensive. If you call digging several hundreds to thousands of feet of wire 6 inches deep in rock hard soil not labor intensive my hats off to you.

to me it ranks right up there with irrigation minus the ditch witch.
  5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Unique is a quality product but the price is a bit excessive. You can buy better quality for less money and be proud to install it. They do have some fixtures that are very nice and come in very useful in certain situations, but being tied to one manufacturer and especially one distributor can be a problem. The hub system they have is not much different than many of the other manufacturers and adding an additional fuse at the hub seems to be a Unique exclusive.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

OK guys, thanks for the input. WHO SPIKED THE KOOL-AID??????? lol.. On a serious note, I like the idea of a fee to demo, it will certainly qualify those who are serious.
  7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Interesting statement Sean.

As someone who installs a lot of Nightscaping, and has had a lot experience with F/X, Hadco and Vista along the way, just so you understand my bias, I think anyone installing non-UL1838 compliant transformers is completely nuts.

Maybe it's time to ask your insurance broker whether you'll be covered for whatever laibilty arises from installing a system that doesn't comply to UL standards.

Might just wake the KoolAide drinkers from their trance.
  8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I admit i haven't looked at Unique's products beyond trade magazine ads in the last 3 or 4 years. What I saw in person before convinced me the products were no different than similar offerings by any of the other "manufacturers" whose products were probably made by the same Chinese factories... overpriced, crudely designed, and poorly finished. (Just my opinions... not stating as fact.)

There are plenty of quality, American made fixtures to choose from. I like well thought out and engineered products... I don't use the full line from any one source, but pick the fixture that does the job I need it to.

So far, other brands of fixtures always fill the niche better than anything I've seen from Unique.
  9. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Unique, as with other manufactures have good and bad. Don't fall for the "sales pitch" though. Demos are not all that they are cracked up to be.
  10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

demos are a tool. They aid you in design and showing a client that design before they buy. Demoed clients should be serious buyers or willing to pay that fee if they dont buy.

There is a way to use demos to your advantage if you got the time. Ask EXISTING high end clients if you can demo a portion of thier property to obtain photos for your portfolio. If they agree make sure they get a copy of some high quality pictures.