Unique Project-Pics.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jun 29, 2010.

1. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

Thats outstanding man,,,outstanding!
  2. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

very nice job. We do alot of bluestone work and i mean alot i know how much "FUN" it can be to play with. I would love a project like this.
  3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

What no carved post caps? lol! That is really really cool! I thought my brother was a cutting fool with his tile work.
  4. 4Russl5

4Russl5 LawnSite Member

Did you bolt those together, or screw and glue? You should google 'Kansas fence posts'. Similar to yours only the ranchers used limestone posts with holes drilled through them to run the barbed wire through. They used stone instead of wood because of the grass fires. Nice to see some natural stone posting projects!
  5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I have come across those farm fences online. Also used on the plains where lumber was not readily available.

They are bolted. 1/4 bolt in a 3/8 hole for expansion/contraction of the pourous stone (I know sounds bizarre, but I guess it really does change like wood.)

I was going to ask here. The pickets, some of them were height adjusted by putting them in the ground a couple inches. Do you think the freezing thawing could cause a problem?
  6. 4Russl5

4Russl5 LawnSite Member

I think you would want to leave those connections a bit loose... like an 1/8" for expansion and contraction in winter/spring. They might wick water up from where they are in the soil. Test a dry piece at home in a bucket of water. let it sit for an hour and look how much water is gone in the bucket. You could always go back and remove the soil and put drain rock gravel along the bottoms for a more controlled environment. It looks cool.